Pop top recomendations

Dave The Marra

hello all, I've recently bought a t6 and I'm looking for a company up in the true north of England.. Lancaster upwards to supply and fit a pop top, windows, and carpet line. would anyone have any good recommendations?

Personally speaking I would stay well clear of low life. Had a really good look around their demo van at Busfest and being 6’5” tall I was able to clearly see the state of the metal roof when the pop top was up. Let’s just say that there were plenty of places where the paint was totally rubbed away as a result of the vibration set up when the vehicle is driving and the roof is closed.
Got quite a stern look from their rep when I mentioned it (rather loudly) to the person I was stood with (so everyone else around the van could also hear).:eek:

Would you be willing to share your thoughts on your Low Life Stealth @Paul Holmes. I think a review on this product would be well recieved as there seems to be little written about this particular roof design on the internet. The multi story car park I have to use restricts my options on a roof design. So the addition of just 15mm in height of the Stealth puts it on my radar as a serious contender.

My advise with anything like this is go and see a variety of different pop tops and the installers you'd most likely be using. From their sales pitch you can tell if they know what they're on about and you can see first hand the quality of their workmanship. Clearly from @DaveyB's perspective there is more to a pop top than most can see so make sure you get on a box and have a root around. Observe how the roof sits on the Van, how easy it is to pop up and down on your own and from the perspective of anyone else who may use it. Check it actually fits in with the use you intend from it. It's a big hole they are cutting that can ruin a van if done wrong. So make sure you're happy with the company and the product before you hand over the money. Every company will have positive and negative comments in varing ratios. Take them on board but your personal experience should form a large percentage of your desicion.
We changed our pop top choice after viewing 5 different companies. I can't confirm if we've made the right choice as it's been done in Feb.
Keep us posted!

North shore custom conversions are a quality outfit.

Austops is a good roof and James at custom campers is a real perfectionist.

Well mine are perfect so each to their own what paint are you talking about ?
The paint on what is left of the metal roof. Where the rubber gasket surround of the low life roof pulls down onto the original metalwork, it had rubbed right through the paint. It had at least polished it to a high shine with the vibration.
Glad that you’ve not had any issues with yours. But as I said, personally, if that is what their show van is like, which should be totally spick and span, i’ll not have them cut a hole in my roof. I have no doubt they have lots of satisfied customers like yourself, but what I saw I didn’t like.

Getting a Reimo ultra low profile fitted, along with full conversion from Andi @ more than just Campers in Wakefield. He’s a very knowledgeable show winner. Putting it in this weekend but won’t collect it for another 5 weeks.

Been to the workshop and seen projects at various stages of completion, work looks great, but I can’t give you anymore details till it’s done. Small workshop but good info.

I have been told by a few others to stay away from Austops, although I’ve no personal experience, so can’t be 100% on that.

I’d go for quality of roof over anything, Reimo and SCA are the best according to people I’ve spoken to, but like Ed said, check out what you can and visit workshops: if someone doesn’t want you to see their work, they’re hiding something...

Talk to Exploria in Brighouse. That it will probably take a while before they can schedule you in is a good sign of just how busy they are. Which must say something! They did our (full camper) conversion (Reimo roof) and the result is most excellent. If however price is your primary driver, perhaps save your time. As with all things, you get what you pay for and quality costs.

Back