'Plug in' Hybrid T6

Yogi

Ford are to trial 20 hybrid Transits in London starting Autumn 2017. The electric/combustion engine based vehicles are expected to be able to cover up to 31 miles before the need to switch to conventional fuel.

The early press releases lack techinical detail so it's difficult to find out what the anticipated extended range of the vans will be, but given data from other manufacturers 150 mpg plus should be possible.

Early days, for a full scale move to hybrid but Ford have announced that they plan to launch the hybrid transit in the U.K. from 2019.

VW have stated that they have hybrid technology tried, tested and ready to go for the T6 range although there doesn't appear to be enough consumer demand yet. I recon the T6 hybrid is on the way though now that Ford are pushing the market

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
The t7 will be hybrid petrol electric to meet 2020 Euro 7 emissions.
I expect to see it in the mk8 golf in a couple of years.

Either way this the t6 is the last diesel I'll ever own.
I've said exactly the same, the whole concept of recirculating burnt gases; catching and incinerating soot, then pushing its residue ash into the engine oil; then spaying cows urine onto platinum to catalase hot gases.
If sounds like a load of Bol**cks, it probably is a load of Bo;**cks. And to cap it all the engines uses more diesel than a similar engine from 15years ago!!!!!!! Fcuking EU for you (and VW are a big part of this sh1t). Ah rant over;););)

The t7 will be hybrid petrol electric to meet 2020 Euro 7 emissions.
I expect to see it in the mk8 golf in a couple of years.

Either way this the t6 is the last diesel I'll ever own.
It's already in the new Golf. The recent facelift Mk7 includes hybrid and electric only versions

Likewise, I am assuming the T7, or T6.1 will definitely be available as a petrol/electric hybrid and I will definitely be swapping my T6 for one about 6 months before my extended warranty expires in 2021

It's already in the new Golf. The recent facelift Mk7 includes hybrid and electric only versions

Likewise, I am assuming the T7, or T6.1 will definitely be available as a petrol/electric hybrid and I will definitely be swapping my T6 for one about 6 months before my extended warranty expires in 2021
If I'm still around I'll be 70 and considering something smaller

@chriscroft , the real culprit for the demise of the economical diesel is the car owner in the main, the more expensive brands eg BMW, they wanted petrol performance and refinement, and the manufacturers bowed down to them to sell more...

@chriscroft , the real culprit for the demise of the economical diesel is the car owner in the main, the more expensive brands eg BMW, they wanted petrol performance and refinement, and the manufacturers bowed down to them to sell more...
I think it mostly comes down to Co2 outputs (re ghg(green house gases)), & Nox's (air pollution); whilst I accept Climate Change is a problem we will struggle to deal with, I do not believe that the EU's lying methods of calculating these gases and mpg are nothing but a complete white wash, used to try and fool the public. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

It has nowadays become about co/nox, but I had a J plate Astra 1.9 non turbo.. 60mpg all day long, calculated from trip and fill figures.. Then came less diesel noise and turbo, along with "performance and refinement" like a car.. Mpg when to shite, and prices of derv went up at the pump... Then came all the emissions crap........

There is a new version of the system in testing for the new 2018/19 range.
More range and efficiency.

I just hope they do a high power petrol engine with the electric motor.

My 335d did go like merde off a shovel and did good mpg. Even sounded quite good. No stupid emissions rubbish on that one.
By about 2010, diesel reliability fell off a cliff.

It will be interesting to see where the batteries for a PEHV van get stored and what impact they have on the available payload weight and volume.

My last 2 company cars, through my own choice, were a Prius and a Lexus CT200h (neither were plug in variants) - both suffered from limited load area (compared to equivalent diesel/petrol cars) and I struggled to get more than 50mpg out of either - friends with equivalent sized diesel cars were getting as good and better MPG.

Granted, technology is moving quickly and things will already be better in the couple of years since I drove one but it will be a while before anyone convinces me to buy a hybrid vehicle.

It will be interesting to see where the batteries for a PEHV van get stored and what impact they have on the available payload weight and volume.

My last 2 company cars, through my own choice, were a Prius and a Lexus CT200h (neither were plug in variants) - both suffered from limited load area (compared to equivalent diesel/petrol cars) and I struggled to get more than 50mpg out of either - friends with equivalent sized diesel cars were getting as good and better MPG.

Granted, technology is moving quickly and things will already be better in the couple of years since I drove one but it will be a while before anyone convinces me to buy a hybrid vehicle.
I have driven a BMW i3, with a range extender. I absolutely loved everything about it, but the residual values are low at 3 years, because as you say the technology is moving quickly, and they become outdated too quickly with no upgrade route available at this moment. So the new electrically powered car/LGV market is not without its own risks/issues.:confused:

This could be the thread to watch over the coming years! My 2000 330d had fantastic mpg and went like smoke, the world's gone mad!

I've got a Outlander PHEV. It's a great car, but the range on electric suffers a lot in the winter months as the batteries perform significantly better at 15-20 degrees opposed to 0-5 degrees. The claimed range is 34Miles on a full charge, I think i've only even managed it once. Winter, the range is as low as 10-14miles. Summer we frequently get 25miles out of it.
Admittedly, I didn't buy it for the range, as the vast majority of my trips are short so it works out fine and I can fully charge it in 1.5hrs at home. Longer trips I just reply on the 2L Turbo petrol engine.

Yes, the load area is sacrificed due to the batteries needing to go somewhere, yes it's lovely and quite. Would I buy another PHEV in a hurry, well maybe not right now as the tech is progressing so quickly. If they bring out a Transporter PHEV, with a range of 150+ miles and still keeping the t32 payload option then I'd go for it but only if they paired it up with a petrol engine. There's more than enough room around the chassis to fit batteries.

I've got a Outlander PHEV. It's a great car, but the range on electric suffers a lot in the winter months as the batteries perform significantly better at 15-20 degrees opposed to 0-5 degrees. The claimed range is 34Miles on a full charge, I think i've only even managed it once. Winter, the range is as low as 10-14miles. Summer we frequently get 25miles out of it.
Admittedly, I didn't buy it for the range, as the vast majority of my trips are short so it works out fine and I can fully charge it in 1.5hrs at home. Longer trips I just reply on the 2L Turbo petrol engine.

Yes, the load area is sacrificed due to the batteries needing to go somewhere, yes it's lovely and quite. Would I buy another PHEV in a hurry, well maybe not right now as the tech is progressing so quickly. If they bring out a Transporter PHEV, with a range of 150+ miles and still keeping the t32 payload option then I'd go for it but only if they paired it up with a petrol engine. There's more than enough room around the chassis to fit batteries.

We got my sister a PHEV for those reason and if you've got 3phase charged it charges up rather quickly. As you say its a lovely smooth and comfy drive just with a slightly small interior. If VW can get that tech in a Transporter I'm there too as long as its 4x4 but I cover around 20k per yer so petrol probably isn't the best for me.

B
I cover around 20k per yer so petrol probably isn't the best for me.
Yeah, but if the range on electric is good (150+miles), and say you can do 60-70% of your travels via electric.... then that brings your fuel miles well below 10k.

I'm certain the T7 will at least have a petrol hybrid version and judging by how good some of the current ones are, I'd be very keen.

Diesel will die soon; lets just hope we all sell ours before they are worth nothing!

I've said exactly the same, the whole concept of recirculating burnt gases; catching and incinerating soot, then pushing its residue ash into the engine oil; then spaying cows urine onto platinum to catalase hot gases.
If sounds like a load of Bol**cks, it probably is a load of Bo;**cks. And to cap it all the engines uses more diesel than a similar engine from 15years ago!!!!!!! Fcuking EU for you (and VW are a big part of this sh1t). Ah rant over;););)
and we have to put adblue in

I'm certain the T7 will at least have a petrol hybrid version and judging by how good some of the current ones are, I'd be very keen.

Diesel will die soon; lets just hope we all sell ours before they are worth nothing!

I would think they are all ready worth nothing! with the Government telling people to think hard before buying a diesel!

Back