Planar 2kw or 4kw

VanBlanc

Life is a Beach so we are back...
VIP Member
T6 Guru
I see plenty of discussion but not a conclusion so here goes;

I plan to fit an Autoterm Planar heater to our new T6.1 Beach using OE plastics and brackets but which one.

Folk have asked the question and usually the answer is 2kw is fine but does everyone who fitted one agree?

I see the discussion about where and when people intend using it and that is key. We hope to get away in better weather, even travel a long way south and we have Climatronic for that but a) we live in central Scotland b) we would like to use it all year for days and perhaps occasional nights away and c) we will definitely be going back to the Nordkapp next year. Sitting in a Cali the headroom isn't great so we would want the top up and that will loose heat in a hurry albeit we could lower it at night. So you can see it may get a wee bit chilly!

All that makes me think we would be a better off with a 4kw?

And then if we opt for a 4 kw is the install any different? Is it bigger? Will it fit on the VW bracket and OE ducts?

The general consensus is that it is better to have the smaller heater and run it harder than have the larger heater and run it at half power or less.
The thing you don't want to do is coke up the heater with low power running and then have to take it out to clean it every year or less.
I have a chinese 2kw heater mounted in the California cradle beneath the van and once up to temperature it will tick over at minimum power all night keeping the van warm at around 17C even when its below 5C outside. In the morning I ramp it up to full for half an hour to warm the van up for dressing and then turn it off so it always gets a full burn run to help stop it gumming up.

I plan to fit an Autoterm Planar heater to our new T6.1 Beach using OE plastics and brackets but which one.

Folk have asked the question and usually the answer is 2kw is fine but does everyone who fitted one agree?

I see the discussion about where and when people intend using it and that is key. We hope to get away in better weather, even travel a long way south and we have Climatronic for that but a) we live in central Scotland b) we would like to use it all year for days and perhaps occasional nights away and c) we will definitely be going back to the Nordkapp next year. Sitting in a Cali the headroom isn't great so we would want the top up and that will loose heat in a hurry albeit we could lower it at night. So you can see it may get a wee bit chilly!

And then if we opt for a 4 kw is the install any different? Is it bigger? Will it fit on the VW bracket and OE ducts?
We had the same dilemma and went for the 2 kW, on the cooler summer nights is fine, but during this winter I wish, sorry the wife says we should have gone for the 4 kW she is always cold.
If ours goes faulty I will change to the 4 kW.
we have the setup you want to fit in a T6
it will fit in the VW cradle it is just the connection pipes that are a different size.
I will sell you my 2kW then I can get a 4kW :whistle: :laugh:

We are currently in the Alps in our converted LWB T6. We have a 2kw Webasto & a 2Kw fan heater for when we are on EHU. When we use the webasto, it runs at full chat for about 1/2 hour & then reduces down. We can’t stand the fan heater on the 2kW setting, it’s too much. The outside temperature is currently -7C & I’m sat here in a T shirt. Last week we were off grid in La Plagne for 3 days, night time temps were hitting -20C, daytime never got higher than -8C. The toothpaste froze in the tube. But when we fired up the Webasto we were warm & toasty within 10 mins. If you go large, you’ll regret it. The heater will not go low enough to prevent overheating.

The general consensus is that it is better to have the smaller heater and run it harder than have the larger heater and run it at half power or less.
The thing you don't want to do is coke up the heater with low power running and then have to take it out to clean it every year or less.
I have a chinese 2kw heater mounted in the California cradle beneath the van and once up to temperature it will tick over at minimum power all night keeping the van warm at around 17C even when its below 5C outside. In the morning I ramp it up to full for half an hour to warm the van up for dressing and then turn it off so it always gets a full burn run to help stop it gumming up.
Yeah I get that but 5C is, on occasions, positively tropical. We are looking for winter days out and even the odd winter night away all when it could be sub zero and at our age the cold is not good. We are also planning another Nordkapp trip where even in June it could be -5C overnight.

We are currently in the Alps in our converted LWB T6. We have a 2kw Webasto & a 2Kw fan heater for when we are on EHU. When we use the webasto, it runs at full chat for about 1/2 hour & then reduces down. We can’t stand the fan heater on the 2kW setting, it’s too much. The outside temperature is currently -7C & I’m sat here in a T shirt. Last week we were off grid in La Plagne for 3 days, night time temps were hitting -20C, daytime never got higher than -8C. The toothpaste froze in the tube. But when we fired up the Webasto we were warm & toasty within 10 mins. If you go large, you’ll regret it. The heater will not go low enough to prevent overheating.
Sounds good, do you know your indoor temp?

Sounds good, do you know your indoor temp?
Somewhere between shorts & T shirt…
Seriously it’s been feckin freezing, but in the van has been fine. We have internal insulated blinds on all the glass, an an insulated liner in the poptop. The missus is 8.5stone wet through, & she feels the cold. She’s sat here in here t shirt & leggings as we speak. I’ve no qualms about recommending a 2kW heater.7B961A05-CF13-4297-8886-161FD811DBE1.jpeg27831CCE-381F-42DF-AD06-DBDE230167E6.jpegC70CAF85-9B16-48F1-ADEB-048C99FE7BC5.jpeg

Last edited:
We have the 2kw fitted and find it works great in the camper. I have read some that have the 5kw find it too warm!
Not used it in anger, but we have had a few nights over the past week here in Spain where nighttime temps it was -1 to -3, not that we noticed in the van.............:cool:

2kw Autoterm in our van. We were up near St Andrews Xmas 2021 and Inverness Feb 2022 in the snow. No problems warming the van up and we turn it off when we go to sleep.
Level the pop top up but pull the bed board down for insulation at night.

2kw Autoterm in our van. We were up near St Andrews Xmas 2021 and Inverness Feb 2022 in the snow. No problems warming the van up and we turn it off when we go to sleep.
Level the pop top up but pull the bed board down for insulation at night.
Should be ‘leave’ the pop top up.

You are selling me on 2kw but you will be for it if you are telling me porkies ;)

We had a Cali roof on our T6 and the issue was headroom with a RIB seat. That shouldn't be a problem with a genuine Cali.

Like many the roof for us is standing space. It comes with a tambour closer and we leave out the roof mattress to store sleeping bags, towels etc.

Going to start ordering the kit now so that I can mock it up and fit before easter.

Temporarily put a 2Kw electric heater in the van and see how it works out before choosing a diesel heater. IMO 2Kw is enough, there is very little airspace in a loaded Transporter.

Temporarily put a 2Kw electric heater in the van and see how it works out before choosing a diesel heater. IMO 2Kw is enough, there is very little airspace in a loaded Transporter.
Yup, the biggest heat loss in a small van is through the glass. A set of insulated window blinds makes a massive difference. We have a Just Kampers set & can’t fault them.

Back