Passanger Seat - Double Or Single ?

andy greenwood

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I currently have a double seat on a Kiravans seat swivel, I really like the look of the single swivel seats though , they also look more practical and easier to spin round . Swapping would mean losing the storage space I currently have with the double but that would not bother me too much.

What is the general verdict of forum members......Single or Double ?

I've had both and won't go double again. Storage can be found else where, comfort can't!
if I decide to go down the single route what is my best option...? look on the internet for a 2nd hand seat & base ? I imagine they are quite expensive brand new ?

I have just had a quick look on ebay and a passanger seat is about £450 ish. I presume I have to buy the base and the swivel mechanism seperately ?

I paid a bit more for a seat with base from Exploria.

There are quite a few sellers on ebay - its just finding one in the right fabric with the right add-ons (arm rests, lumbar etc). That said you can get most OEM fabric covers from inka-corp

I have just had a quick look on ebay and a passanger seat is about £450 ish. I presume I have to buy the base and the swivel mechanism seperately ?

Yep. My seat on eBay with armrests and lumbar support and obviously matching shade of plastic bits. Then seat base from a conversion firm who were getting rid of one and swivel seat base from banwy. All adds up though.

The single is more stylish and comfortable. It allows you to fit the lower comfort dash and walk through to the back instead of having to climb out and in.

One ‘Gotcha’ is the van seats are missing the two lower plastic trims on the back - not needed as they’re up against a bulkhead.

One is easy (lower one) and just clips on. The one above that (about 75mm wide) clips into some additional seat frame metalwork that is absent on the van seats. I posted about this a while ago with pictures - not found a solution yet, to filling the gap!!

F776D1C4-0EDD-4281-8A3D-104558416DE9.jpeg

Being a tightarse, I didn't really want to spend up to another grand (or whatever) on a single swivel captains seat and nor do I want to lose the storage space that my Kiravans double swivel gives me. That said, although I don't actually spend too much time in the passenger seat, I don't find it particularly uncomfortable even on a long run and nor does my wife (who spends more time in it). However, I do reckon a Vankraft bracket to change the angle of the back would improve it. It's something to be sorted before we start on longer trips this coming summer.

It allows you to ... walk through to the back instead of having to climb out and in.
Just that in itself would clinch it for us; we wouldn’t want to be without this capability. But if you want to carry more people you will have your own priorities. So as with everything, go what is right for you.

if I decide to go down the single route what is my best option...? look on the internet for a 2nd hand seat & base ? I imagine they are quite expensive brand new ?

I bought mine from a polish seller on ebay. Can't remember what I paid but it was cheaper including shipping than anywhere else. I wasn't bothered about matching fabric though as I got them re-trimmed shortly afterwards.

I've tried both and agree the single is much more comfier for longer journeys.

Back