Ordering new T6 Kombi, few questions if anyone can help

Radorik

Hi, I'm on my 2nd T5 panel van and looking at getting a new T6 Kombi. Bigger family means 3 seats across the front isn't enough anymore so was thinking a Kombi with 1/2(container) front and 1/2 removable at the back.

98% of its life it will be a panel van so I wanted a bulkhead as per a panel van which I could remove when I need the rear seating. Has anyone else done this, as a trip to VW has implied this is not an option (I thought it was a simple case of installing the studs for fixing). A quick release bulkhead would be even better, a compromise would be a curtain but noise / security / load flying at you after an emergency stop not so great.

I was after a removable bulk head, solid tailgate and non-opening side windows. A bit paranoid with security, probably going with a highline and alarm but thinking the more covered up the better, blackout for the windows somehow. Plenty of work mates have had vans done, my unassuming panel van thus far hasn't aroused any interest.

Any suggestions, may be its me but I seem to be asking the impossible where as I thought the above would be fairly simple.

Also I wanted DSG and 4motion, which apparently means I need a 204ps, although I would have thought 150ps would have been fine. Anyone got 204ps real MPGs? I do around 25k per year and used to about 38mpg average out of a 140ps T5.

Thanks for any help, very big decision to be saddled with the payments...

Sounds like a LWB Kombi will be your best option, with a purpose built bulkhead, but if you need to carry 8x4 sheets then you'll need another van.

I didn't want the LWB as I find the SWB goes everywhere a car goes. I also need access to load from the back and sides so the extra in the back wouldn't help me. 8x4s not a problem.

Looking like I will have to get the solid tailgate, curtains between front and 2nd row of seats and black out the side windows somehow..

I have my first Kombi a few month now after years of panel vans and it works for me . I am a plumber so carry power tools but it's parked of the road so not to bad . I have made a ply bottom half bulkhead that can stay in if I want to carry passengers and can still pop the single rear in if I want to carry three as I have two singles up front . I used ply painted black on the drivers side door and a curtain on the pasenger side . I haven't filled the top part of the bulkhead in yet but might use a curtain in that or you could put a net across for safety .
Go for the twin and single in the rear but even the twin is very heavy to lift out in needs two people .
Keith.

I used sticky Valcro on the sides to hold the half bulkhead in place and a fixing into the ply floor I put on top of the rubber Kombi flooring .i screwed a timber baton across the top of the ply . It had be pulled backwards but it cannot go forwards so works well. My van is at the dealers but can take a few photos when I get it back.
It in having all the rear parking sensors replaced as the body shop it went to after someone went in the back of me bugged the job up and glued all the sensors to the new bumper. They then all came off . Aviva are going to pay vw dealer to replace all of it including new sensors .
Next time it is only going to a vw authorised body shop.
If you can cut ply I would make the bulkhead and if you put ply on the floor and cut around the seat fixing the top of the ply is flush with the seat fixings . You could then get a carpet to put in front of the second row if you are using them. Mine is empty with only one seat in the back at the moment so I can get a few good photos when it comes back . You could always cover the ply and if you are going to use the rear seats in the cold weather I would cut a few holes in the bottom of the bulkhead to allow the warm air from the heater to come through under the seats.

Last edited:
Thanks for all that, think I've got the idea and ok with a jigsaw so may give it a go now knowing no self tappers required.

I went (price pending) for an option which installs a 2nd air vent in the rear so the 2nd row can have some heat, and I'll block the lower half off as you say.

The body shops are good with 'screws on a reel', that black tacky tape. Whenever my cars have been in I've found bit of trim re fixed in this fashion. Hopefully VW will do a better job, although I had them change a lambda connector years ago and all they did was splice a new onto the loom with crimp connectors...

IMG_2625.JPG IMG_2623.JPG IMG_2636.JPG IMG_2621.JPG IMG_2634.JPG
I hope some of these help. I don't remove the ply bulkhead if I carry passengers as it stops them kick the back of the seats

Definitely cheers, going to give that a go. Always annoying I couldn't get 3m lengths on conduit in, will make a removable panel, looks like you've done similar through the centre?

I have just remove a bulkhead, it's in the for sale section ;) When u take out there are 5 bracket sections that you need to remove (top and bottom each side and one that runs along the bottom) The top to are bolted in but the bottom 3 are welded in and pig to remove :( If I was installing mine again I would order the three lower brackets and bolt them instead of spot weld. Its all behind the pillar trim so hidden from sight.

3840-96fefdd3de3e48313ba501e359d7c83f.jpg

3841-098b90607f1587295f3f144e8ff3b75e.jpg

Back