Old Swan Oxford

My sister and I got dumped in a cinema with popcorn and a large drink while caravanning in Wales to watch Clash of the Titans. I was 10 and she was 7 at the time. Not exactly the best film to leave young kids to watch alone. God knows what my parents were thinking, different times I suppose, although I do have a sneaky suspicion what they were up to. :whistle:

Has anyone been here

Going next week. Looks good. Any tips for local things to do with the kids
We went there summer 2020 with partial lockdown rules, bbq food outside the pub etc etc so I can’t really comment on the pub in normal times but not great then. They hire out paddle boards and stuff which was great and we had a pitch on the river but the campsite was a free for all with load music, overcrowding and campfires. The toilets were porta cabins that had backed up and leaked everywhere. I think there was a fight, the couple opposite us had a massive falling out and left in the middle of the night leaving all their gear. Then my son was violently sick everywhere and so we ended up leaving after one night.

It was a real shame as it’s the perfect spot and I don’t think we saw it in its best light but the wife will never go back.

I really hope you have a better time and can report back on the positives!

We went there summer 2020 with partial lockdown rules, bbq food outside the pub etc etc so I can’t really comment on the pub in normal times but not great then. They hire out paddle boards and stuff which was great and we had a pitch on the river but the campsite was a free for all with load music, overcrowding and campfires. The toilets were porta cabins that had backed up and leaked everywhere. I think there was a fight, the couple opposite us had a massive falling out and left in the middle of the night leaving all their gear. Then my son was violently sick everywhere and so we ended up leaving after one night.

It was a real shame as it’s the perfect spot and I don’t think we saw it in its best light but the wife will never go back.

Ah sounds mental. Society was a bit nutty post lockdown so hopefully mellowed this year!

My sister and I got dumped in a cinema with popcorn and a large drink while caravanning in Wales to watch Clash of the Titans. I was 10 and she was 7 at the time. Not exactly the best film to leave young kids to watch alone. God knows what my parents were thinking, different times I suppose, although I do have a sneaky suspicion what they were up to. :whistle:
Making a sibling?!!!

Hopefully new management are on site

Pitt Rivers museum in Oxford is one of my favourites. They have some His Dark Materials props in the exhibition at the moment, although the whole place is a His Dark Materials set.

@Pedros85
I think it’s under new management and they have done a lot outside to improve it in last two years. I pass it everyday on way to work…..in fact I think I just passed you. You heading from faringdon side about 1730 today?
Wasn’t me! Not going there til next Wednesday. At Elderflower Fields festival this weekend in Uckfield, Sussex.

Funny enough I went there last weekend. Lovely pub, friendly staff and really good size beer garden. The only issue I had was that the camping field was too wet so they weren't allowing vans on it. I had to park off the main field next to the boats. Not ideal and a bit awkward but we made it work.

Might be worth giving them a ring to see if they've opened the field up yet. I would imagine they have though given the nice weather we are having at the moment.

Funny enough I went there last weekend. Lovely pub, friendly staff and really good size beer garden. The only issue I had was that the camping field was too wet so they weren't allowing vans on it. I had to park off the main field next to the boats. Not ideal and a bit awkward but we made it work.

Might be worth giving them a ring to see if they've opened the field up yet. I would imagine they have though given the nice weather we are having at the moment.
Nice one. I’ll give them a call

We rocked up yesterday afternoon and cut short our three night stay, leaving this morning rather than stay on. We thought the weather was better than it turned out to be (I think the wind must get channelled down the river as it seems to whip way more on the site than I'd anticipated) and the kids were freezing and miserable yesterday evening. Ate in the pub, which was fine but just burgers and we didn't fancy it two nights in a row, and firing up the BBQ seemed a ridiculous idea.
The site itself was also just kind of fine. Facilities present and correct but pretty tired.
I'd give it a 6/10 all told, which is a shame. We're looking for somewhere within easy striking distance of us that can be our go-to when we have a free weekend but this isn't it.

Just arrived, seems fine, it js a bit windy but weather meant to get better.

Can see it being superb in the sun, in shit weather not so great

Back