Newbie says hi and some questions

borat

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi all

Just put a deposit down on a 20 plate T6.1 and booked conversion for March. I've been spending way too much time on here trying to think about which options to invest in and how much to spend on cosmetics. The donor is a sport line in revvena blue (which I love) with tailgate and discover media. I'd love to get pics of any other Ravenna campers, especially with alloys as that is one of my current dilemmas! In terms of decisions already made, I am going with a 130 RIB bed with less storage as comfort is more important to us. The conversion company fits Westdub pop top and I am getting the roof bed.
Any thoughts on any of the following would be great help in making other choices!

1) I really like the looks with the sport line bumper, but if I get one fitted, am worried this then might cause problems on uneven camp sites. Do those who have the lower bumper find this?
2) Any thoughts on the diesel heating systems? I am erring towards going for this option, but its not cheap (they fit Webasto or another option). How noisy are they?
3) If you had the chance to build your van again, what are the things you would add, remove or do differently?
4) I've done some reading on upgrading the sound system so I know that a replacement head unit is probably not a goer in the T6.1 as I wouldn't want to take the compromises, so I am looking at upgrading speakers and amps. Anyone gone with the Hertz system that seems to be recommended a lot in various threads? Does the under seat sub do enough or would you say a bigger sub in the back would be better if I can fit in?
5) Are thefts a big issue with these? We had horrendous issues with scrotes trying to steal a golf R I owned previously so its something I am paranoid about. Doesn't seem to be a major talking point on here, but would be useful to know if I should be thinking about a tracker
6) Any views on going with Fiamma awning vs Reimo multirail?

Cheers

Colin

Hi and welcome!

Diesel heater - a really useful option. I fitted a Planar (about £650) externally in my T5, and it makes winter trips much better. Sets off like a hot air balloon roar when starting up, but much quieter when running. I will be putting a Chinese one (£100) in my T6.1 when it arrives, and also a remote/timer so it can be warmed ready for when I get in.

I will have much more lighting in the next van - the current one comes with a couple of LED bars and it could do with more.

I don't know if there's anything I'd really change if we did it again, but here are some thoughts.

We have a Webasto Airtop 2000 diesel heater in ours - I can't say it's especially noisy. There's a bit of a hum but nothing noticeable. Even outside, it's not an issue. Ours is underslung rather than under the seat. We went with the VW Cali seat/bed because having a properly crash tested unit was important for us, and we also knew that a lot of the other RIB type options didn't have much headroom and/or left your feet dangling in the air when travelling as they are too high. We thought we'd asked for some USB charging points, but ended up with ordinary 12v sockets.

As regards audio, we changed to an Alpine head unit. Largely iirc to get a decent reversing camera, and that's a great thing to have. It's a box on wheels, and in my view you're not going to get true hi-fi type audio in a van, but then I'm not into in-car-sounds anyway. We had a lot of extra sound deadening put into the cab and front doors and the van is now quieter than my car at speed.

If they want it, they'll take it I'm afraid. I hear those circular steering wheel "covers" are good, and certainly people seem to use pedal lock boxes. They'll have your spare wheel away before you can blink, so consider a decent lock for it. Your insurer will probably require a Thatcham alarm anyway. I can't recall what level ours wanted, but our van conformed with their requirements. Although that might have been because it's a Highline. We've also got a cunning hidden immobilizer switch, which won't let the van start unless it's pressed.

Another vote for the Airtop - gives us hot water as well as heat, so we have a shower attachment at the back as well as hot water to the sink. It's audible when it's first started, but once up to temperature it's quite quiet.

Since i live up here in Inverness, Highlands. And stay in the Van in all weathers when I'm out Walking/kayaking etc.. I fitted an Ebersbacher Diesel heater underneath my T6. This is the One thing i would fit to any future Vans i might own. The exterior styling doesn't bother me either way, but having the Van insulated etc does. Though i suppose it's how your going to use it, is what your going to want to add etc...

Back