newbie question about advert seen

looking at an ad's I found, but honestly I have never bought anything fancy or new and don't really buy cars/vans and don't really know what half the stuff is they talking about. I have seen a couple recommendations on these forums about must haves and nice to haves so was wondering if someone can help clear up some terminology for me.

the ad says:
Carpet floor covering in cab, sliding doors, left and right, LED headlamps with LED daytime running lights (Tailgate) with red tail lights, Rear view camera, Heated driver and front passenger seats. that all sounds great.

seen video of the van, looks great, most of that stuff seems like the spec I would want.
In the ad it says manual doors, am I probably correct in saying they are not soft close or power latching?

The main question I have is around the wording for heated windscreen and the parking sensors.
Laminated Windscreen - Heated : does this mean heated windscreen?
Park Distance Control in Front and Rear : are these the parking sensors that beep at you in these fancy new cars and vans?

Sorry if dumb questions and also if this is in the wrong section? I really haven't ever looked at or considered a new car/van and only ever driven bangers and wanted to treat myself for once. Appreciate any input and advice.

Thanks

Last edited:
Laminated Windscreen - Heated : does this mean heated windscreen?
Park Distance Control in Front and Rear : are these the parking sensors that beep at you in these fancy new cars and vans?
heated windscreen yup. Has wires inside like a rear window but REALLY thin so you can't see them unless you look real close.
beeping sensors probably. Most have rear sensors and I think front sensors are an optional extra but there's also a radar in the front but this is for emergency braking.

I agree with what howzat has said above.

I also think power closing is pointless but power latching is almost a must have as it’s very hard to close the side door otherwise. It can be fitted at a later date though so not a deal breaker.

Just check that the LED lights are a full specification LED lights and not just an led bulb Fitted to a regular headlight unit as these are actually ilegal. The genuine factory fitted LEDs are absolutely brilliant so if you have them it’s thumbs up.

Thanks for all the replies guys!
The ad is on autotrader for a brand new van. Looks like the one that was sent to me sold already between me calling and getting a video at 4pm to now being sold. :eek:. Amazing haha but they have sent me this which they say is the same minus the rear camera.

no pic in here but its just a brand new highline t32 kombi in pure grey.

There are no LED lights on it and a rear view camera is very helpful because you don’t know if you’re just reversing into a stinging nettle or a low wall If you have to rely on sensors.

There are no LED lights on it and a rear view camera is very helpful because you don’t know if you’re just reversing into a stinging nettle or a low wall If you have to rely on sensors.
Thanks for looking over this ad.
it says it has this as extra
"These are in addition to what this van typically comes with as standard:

• LED Headlights with LED Daytime Running Lights and LED Tail Lights"
Are these not the LED headlights?
also how hard is it to retrofit a cam?

Sorry I missed the LED lights bit….. However further down it says ‘Halogen Twin Headlights’ Which are adequate but not the same as full LED.

as to retrofitting the camera, a lot of people on this forum fit them themselves and have posted guides as to how to do it but it’s beyond my capabilities really. There are a few trade members on here that can fit them for you (at a price).

Just remember no one has a perfect specked van and we always want a few more extras on it that we cant afford!

indeed. thanks for the comments, just got in contact with them and they said it is the full LED headlights but the one I wanted the guy decided against and they have given me option of it. It has pretty much everything I want the only downside I can tell is no power latching (but like said above, can add that later) and the back seats is a 3 seater bench where I would prefer the 2 and 1. Would be taking the 2 out on occasion for my motorbike and have the other one still for a baby car seat if going away on a long trip (but again this can be fixed later)

Thanks for all the advice in here. Have put a £500 deposit to secure the van. It's in stock and ready to be registered so perhaps will be collecting a new van soon. :D

So just a quick update.
Have received the quote and wanted to check if this seems about right?

RFL, 1st Reg Fee & Delivery £ 1098.00

Is that a usual sum on a new vehicle? I am going to collect so is delivery necessary?

They also added this:
Optional Additional Products GAP CV £25k-£50k £ 399.00
New Car Service Plan £ 179.00

Are these worth to add or not really necessary?

I think £650 is the standard delivery fee across the board (all brands) and thats to get it to the UK not your house

ok thanks @Pauly. so £1098 seems about right then?

What do you think of them adding GAP insurance and the service plan? are those necessary or better to get them elsewhere?

Generally insurance will cover new ofr old within the first 12 months so paying GAP is for year 2 and 3 in my eyes
Think i would rate a 5 year extended warranty higher

nice one, ill question that with them. They have also added gardx paint protection for £449. Is this worth it or again better to go elsewhere?

I personally think all that stuff is snake oil (along with terra clean etc)
If you are interested in the detailing side i would speak to a detailer

Paint protection is personal choice really.

Had it thrown in for free on a car I bought new and wasn’t impressed and personally wouldn't pay a dealer to do it. Got a better finish on my new van with a day of elbow grease, and some quality products that cost me less than £80 in total - clay bar and lubricant to clean and prep the paintwork (used a Meguiars product) and Turtlewax graphene hybrid wax.

And agree on GAP insurance. Most policies will cover new for old for first year as said above, so again some upselling that will cost you money, but gain nothing valuable from.

I’m not against paint protection per se I’m just against dealers paying the local idiot £20 to apply it to your brand new motor with whatever random rag they can lay their hands on

Back