New too Vanlife, Minefield that is leisure battery's

MichaelA3092

Hi all, i took the plunge back in October and brought a panel van 2019 T6 model, I've completely renovated it into a camper all from scratch and done myself. I've really enjoyed the process and have learnt lots in doing so, but now i have come across a stumbling block i have no experience what so ever with, Fitting the leisure battery. At first i wasn't going to do so, but after looking online it doesn't look particularly hard and thought as i have done the rest i may as well give it ago. My question to you guys would be is there anything as a complete beginner i need to be aware off? i am blessed with companies doing bundles for models so i feel buying the right stuff for the right van is a matter of finding the right website ( if your not familiar with buying these parts separately) from the limited research i have done I'm under the impression i need a smart alternator instead of the cheap normal relay because of something to so with the way newer vans emissions. other than that i have no clue to be honest any help would be great apricated. has anyone got any recommendations of bundles?

Thanks michael

I bought all my electrics from climbingvan.co.uk they basically ask what you want to achieve then advise what you need and provide you with a bespoke wiring diagram. You don't pay any extra they get commission from Victron etc

12 volt planet is a good website for cables etc. using the right size cable and fuses is a must; do your research, work out what you plan to buy and do a wiring diagram showing all the bits you plan to use, make of battery, charger etc and the clever folks on here will guide you. Also have a think about what you want it to run, are you going to add Solar now or in the future, if running off grid how long for. And if you haven’t already read @Dellmassive guides on here,they are a wealth of info. It’s all very doable

12 volt planet is a good website for cables etc. using the right size cable and fuses is a must; do your research, work out what you plan to buy and do a wiring diagram showing all the bits you plan to use, make of battery, charger etc and the clever folks on here will guide you. Also have a think about what you want it to run, are you going to add Solar now or in the future, if running off grid how long for. And if you haven’t already read @Dellmassive guides on here,they are a wealth of info. It’s all very doable
more info here:

more info here:

thanks for the great amount of detail provided! i still struggle to understand specific posts what might be related to me. there's so much information but for a novice like me im struggling to understand it. do you have a recommendation on which post to start on? thanks

I bought all my electrics from climbingvan.co.uk they basically ask what you want to achieve then advise what you need and provide you with a bespoke wiring diagram. You don't pay any extra they get commission from Victron etc
I've inputted all my information just waiting for them to get back to me. this is the type of service i needed for my first system. thanks for that. im just worried its going to come back very expensive! i might just opt for a power station for now.

Hi all, i took the plunge back in October and brought a panel van 2019 T6 model, I've completely renovated it into a camper all from scratch and done myself. I've really enjoyed the process and have learnt lots in doing so, but now i have come across a stumbling block i have no experience what so ever with, Fitting the leisure battery. At first i wasn't going to do so, but after looking online it doesn't look particularly hard and thought as i have done the rest i may as well give it ago. My question to you guys would be is there anything as a complete beginner i need to be aware off? i am blessed with companies doing bundles for models so i feel buying the right stuff for the right van is a matter of finding the right website ( if your not familiar with buying these parts separately) from the limited research i have done I'm under the impression i need a smart alternator instead of the cheap normal relay because of something to so with the way newer vans emissions. other than that i have no clue to be honest any help would be great apricated. has anyone got any recommendations of bundles?

Thanks michael
if you are fitting AGM or LIFE PO Batteries you will need a battery to battery charger due to the alternator output and the charge rate the batteries need but if going for a normal les batt then a split charger will work for you Alpha batteries have some good stuff on there web site might be worth a look

Back