New to Transporters

Hemmjonny

Hi all

Hope you are all well.
I am looking at a T6 tomorrow. 2016 T28 2.0l 5 speed Diesel Tdi Bluemotion Kombi startline.
It’s done about 65k has full service history but I cannot see a cam belt in the history. Looking online I can’t seem to find a definitive answer as to when it should be done. Does anyone know?

It’s priced at a firm £14,500 it seems a good price from what I have seen, what do you think?

As it’s a base level van it has the H4 lights I believe are they as bad as people say? I will probably go for the H7 upgrade at some point.

Also is there anything to look for when I go and view?

Thank you
Jonny

Last edited:
Welcome! I usually flip the belt at 60k VW I think say 70k but experience of our trade body with a mix of short and long driving have seen failures pre 70k. Water pump stays on 1st belt change but then flipped at 120k.

Base engine 6-7k

Happy driving.

I’m pretty sure officially in the uk its 4 years old or 80k which ever comes first! It’s even longer in other parts of the world! There’s a thread on here somewhere with very mixed reviews! Yours being a 2016 its well over due if it hasn’t been done already! My opinion for what it’s worth why gamble on something that’s not that expensive to replace

It’s done about 65k has full service history but I cannot see a cam belt in the history
I wouldn’t let that put you off, if it hasn’t broken it’s working as good as a new one. VW UK has their own service interval, as mentioned have a Search.
My 2016 van is at 60K and I have no intention of changing the belt kit before the European interval, I inspect annually.
There are two types of engine driven water pump, one basic (as I have fitted) and another shrouded type with electrical actuation to allow for faster engine coolant warm up from cold. The shrouded type pump has proved to be unreliable and if the impeller is jammed by a cocked shroud it throws the timing belt with catastrophic results.
There is no requirement to refit a shrouded type water pump if you currently have one fitted, I suspect you don’t.

Regarding lack of timing belt kit service, use it as a bargaining point with price reduction.

Welcome! I usually flip the belt at 60k VW I think say 70k but experience of our trade body with a mix of short and long driving have seen failures pre 70k. Water pump stays on 1st belt change but then flipped at 120k.

Base engine 6-7k

Happy driving.
Thanks for the info bud. What do you mean by “base engine 6-7k”?

I’m pretty sure officially in the uk its 4 years old or 80k which ever comes first! It’s even longer in other parts of the world! There’s a thread on here somewhere with very mixed reviews! Yours being a 2016 its well over due if it hasn’t been done already! My opinion for what it’s worth why gamble on something that’s not that expensive to replace
Oh yeah definitely but if it was 120k and 10 years I would have left it . Thank you for your help.

I wouldn’t let that put you off, if it hasn’t broken it’s working as good as a new one. VW UK has their own service interval, as mentioned have a Search.
My 2016 van is at 60K and I have no intention of changing the belt kit before the European interval, I inspect annually.
There are two types of engine driven water pump, one basic (as I have fitted) and another shrouded type with electrical actuation to allow for faster engine coolant warm up from cold. The shrouded type pump has proved to be unreliable and if the impeller is jammed by a cocked shroud it throws the timing belt with catastrophic results.
There is no requirement to refit a shrouded type water pump if you currently have one fitted, I suspect you don’t.

Regarding lack of timing belt kit service, use it as a bargaining point with price reduction.
Thank you, I think 14.5k is the lowest he will take but from what I can find for that year and mileage seems to be a good price.

Hi all,
Just got back from the viewing. Van seems nice and drives and runs well. No real issues the that part.
The service history is far from full.
11/2017 (12596)
08/2018 (24606)
06/06/2019 (31954)
Then has an MOT on 18/06/2019 but the mileage was (31601) can only assume an input error.

It also has a discrepancy on the MOT on the 06/09/2022 the mileage was (55864) if failed this MOT then was retested on 13/09/2022 (55706) all small errors but just seems a bit strange.

The chap purchased the van about 3 years ago with around 38000 and didn’t have it serviced until 29/04/2023 @ 62700.

The van seems nice enough and the interior does look that of a 60k van I would say. E.g plastics, seats and steering wheel look in good condition.

He is firm on the price of £14,500 and it also is due a cam belt.

What do you think?

I would say the little errors with milage sounds like a typo error as dates are so close together hardly seems rewinding a couple of hundred miles!
Take the mots out the equation according to your dates it went nearly 4 years without a service (31,000)
The owner could have serviced it his self but sure he would have mentioned it!
Just ask him did you service it in the 3 years you owned it!

I know it’s a startline but does seem a lot of van for the money!
Is it a genuine factory kombi?

I would say the little errors with milage sounds like a typo error as dates are so close together hardly seems rewinding a couple of hundred miles!
Take the mots out the equation according to your dates it went nearly 4 years without a service (31,000)
The owner could have serviced it his self but sure he would have mentioned it!
Just ask him did you service it in the 3 years you owned it!

I know it’s a startline but does seem a lot of van for the money!
Is it a genuine factory kombi?
Thanks for the reply Chippie1, he is fairly confident it has only had the one. He was very honest to be fair.

It’s not a factory kombi I found out he had the windows and the 1+2 seats put in. He also had it carpeted but it’s not to a very good standard so I would need to try and pull it off and do it again really. He has also carpeted the rear doors and it looks very rough where they have tried to finish the carpeting. I have done the carpeting before and it’s come out well so I don’t have any concerns doing it other then removing the old stuff.

Back