New T6 owner looking for some conversion advice...

Lee37

Hi, just joined the T6 family a month or so ago and wondering where best to start. I want to convert it for weekends / longer trips with wife and two young kids.

We bought a panel van with tailgate, and I'm wondering what order to do conversion jobs in? Also what I should definitely get professionals to do and what I should do myself....

Firstly, is the following roughly the right order for these tasks?

1.)Remove bulkhead (DIY).
2.) Remove existing ply lining and insulate (DIY).
3.) Run conduit for electrics - through / over insulation (DIY).
4.) Fit windows (pro) job).
5.) Install heater (pro).
6.) Install R&R bed (looking for rails-based option for kids) (pro).
7.) Install roof tent (pro).
8.) Fit furniture (or should this come before the bed?) (DIY).

Would be keen to hear if I'm along the right lines or making rookie mistakes, or taking on jobs I shouldn't, from those with previous experience....

A few specific questions too:

Are there significant jobs I'm missing?
How do I best "future-proof" any electrics?
Any tips on jobs where I can take on labour and save costs? I'm competent with basic carpentry etc, but no mechanical knowledge.

Apologies for the lengthy list of questions, but hopefully you guys can offer some guidance...!

Not as hard as you may think Lee,I have just done all mine myself and it wasn't easy but with planning and patience you can do a pro job,I went right round the metalwork in one hit with no joins and then did the panels afterwards.

Give Ady Beckwith a call at Crystal Custom Campers UK in Leeds. He fits hilo roofs and has his own M1 tested slide rail bed system that is more affordable than the reimo and rib options. It's also lower to stop dangling legs and to maximise headroom. Https://crystalcustomcampers.com
He loves to chat about VW's and can give you advice on all the above and I think his products/services/value will also impress.

Hi, just joined the T6 family a month or so ago and wondering where best to start. I want to convert it for weekends / longer trips with wife and two young kids.

We bought a panel van with tailgate, and I'm wondering what order to do conversion jobs in? Also what I should definitely get professionals to do and what I should do myself....

Firstly, is the following roughly the right order for these tasks?

1.)Remove bulkhead (DIY).
2.) Remove existing ply lining and insulate (DIY).
3.) Run conduit for electrics - through / over insulation (DIY).
4.) Fit windows (pro) job).
5.) Install heater (pro).
6.) Install R&R bed (looking for rails-based option for kids) (pro).
7.) Install roof tent (pro).
8.) Fit furniture (or should this come before the bed?) (DIY).

Would be keen to hear if I'm along the right lines or making rookie mistakes, or taking on jobs I shouldn't, from those with previous experience....

A few specific questions too:

Are there significant jobs I'm missing?
How do I best "future-proof" any electrics?
Any tips on jobs where I can take on labour and save costs? I'm competent with basic carpentry etc, but no mechanical knowledge.

Apologies for the lengthy list of questions, but hopefully you guys can offer some guidance...!
This is a great question or questions , its something a lot of new t6ers need to know inc me!

Me again....

I've had some work done on my house that's basically obliterated both the first half of the year (and my bank balance). I'm now finally addressing the van, which is still a straight panel van.

I have it booked into Cambee in early August for one of their R&R beds, but nothing else is booked in and I'm wondering if I'm getting this wrong..! If I install the seats before the electrics, any potential heating, and any lining or windows, I'm guessing this will make a mess of the overall job.

So I was planning to remove the bulkhead myself, and line it myself, but do I need to do the electrics and heating first? Electrics is obvious, but could I add a heater later? Also I want a pop top but can't find anyone available to do it until October or later.

Apologies for the random questions but there's a lot to consider for the first timer and I'm feeling I may be about to cause myself a lot of problems fitting the seats at this stage.

I think youll need to sound deadning and insulate the van 1st then get electrics etc ..then carpet ..youll need floor doing ..id probs say bed and units are last thing youll need doing.

Best advise is sell it then you won't end up in the bottomless money pit your on the road to. Enjoy:)

Back