New t6.1 buying through lease company... advice please

Bodger

T6 Pro
I wonder if anyone could give me some advice? I've ordered a new van via a leasing company due to the great discount, but haven't paid any money yet. The van has now been built and will be shipped over to the UK in a few weeks. Before handing over any money, I'm hoping someone on this forum might be able to suggest what I should get in writing to cover myself as they will be keeping the log book for a year. Any help would be most appreciated!!

I wonder if anyone could give me some advice? I've ordered a new van via a leasing company due to the great discount, but haven't paid any money yet. The van has now been built and will be shipped over to the UK in a few weeks. Before handing over any money, I'm hoping someone on this forum might be able to suggest what I should get in writing to cover myself as they will be keeping the log book for a year. Any help would be most appreciated!!
Surprised to read this as VW pulled the plug on selling vans to leasing companies and many on here had their orders cancelled.
Im not sure what you are wanting to cover yourself?

Have a read of this thread:

Thanks for your quick reply Skyliner, i just wanted to make sure I'll be alright to insure the van as if they're keeping the log book, that will make them the registered keeper and I'm not sure if I'll get a v5... also, I guess I should get them to send me an e-mail stating that I have paid for the van in full and will be getting the logbook in one year

You won’t get a V5 til about month 11, it will be held by the lease company til then. You won’t need this to insure the van though, although insurers may ask whether the V5 is in your name.

What you should have though, if a receipted invoice which will prove your ownership and that you’ve paid for it, which is a different thing to being a registered keeper. The reciepted invoice gives you legal title (ownership) of the van.

Thanks for that advice... it's put my mind at rest a little more!! Do you think an e-mail stating I have paid the full amount would suffice or should I get a proper invoice?

If you ask them to email you a receipted invoice, you’ve got both covered. And if you pay by bank transfer, you’ll be able to prove the payment too, so should have no issues.

If you really want a belt and braces approach, you could also pay part on a credit card, and that way you’ll have access to purchase protection if you needed it later on. Hopefully you won’t and all will be fine, and you can just get on with enjoying driving that lovely new van!

I’ve also purchased my van through a lease company and had the same worries at the start. The company I’ve dealt with have been amazing. I’ve been told I’ll get the log book after 12 months. I did carry out a load of background checks on the company before parting with any funds. E.g checking they are registered with FCA and looking into companies house accounting submissions to get a feel if they were a real company. They also had customer feedback on trust pilot dating back many years. There’s always going to be an element of worry when handling over that amount of money and not getting the usual documents to accompany the sale. Good luck and I hope you have a great experience as I did :thumbsup:

Thanks for your quick reply Skyliner, i just wanted to make sure I'll be alright to insure the van as if they're keeping the log book, that will make them the registered keeper and I'm not sure if I'll get a v5... also, I guess I should get them to send me an e-mail stating that I have paid for the van in full and will be getting the logbook in one year
It wouldn't be the insurance that bothers me. It would be more a case if the company ceases trading and goes into administration.

If you’re concerned then it’s worth phoning up the company you will use to insure the van to check what they will need with respect to the name on the V5 document. Better to find out now rather than having to deal with an emergency when the van is delivered.

That shouldn’t be an issue either skyliner, as the V5 makes it clear on front page that it is not proof of ownership, and simply a record of who is responsible for registering and taxing

That shouldn’t be an issue either skyliner, as the V5 makes it clear on front page that it is not proof of ownership, and simply a record of who is responsible for registering and taxing
Yes, but i have read reports and seem money programs on tv where people have lost vehicles when buying this way. I'd rather not have the worry.

I have been through this myself in the past.

Be very clear with your insurer on owner you, registered keeper them, main driver you.

Also agree with your finance company what mods they will permit if you are taking their finance. I had to do this as I was going to HP.

I had to pull out of my deal as I was not a VAT registered company or sale trader. I would have continued otherwise although I doubt my van would be built. I had to find out myself from the finance company I was being sold a loan against FCA regs.

I went to the dealer for more security which on reflection gave me no more security in the crisis in the end than a 3rd party and cost £10k more!

Great to hear you have the discount.

Thanks all for the advice, I will be contacting my insurance company asap - I'll get some pictures up when it arrives.... just a few weeks to go now!!

Back