Nearside rear lights not work (used to until I changed the fog lamp bulb)

Newbie_Dave

VIP Member
Hi there - new to owning a T6 and have just acquired a 60th anniversary Startline converted by Ox Campers ..... the rear nearside fog lamp was not working (all other lamps were fine) so decided to change the fog lamp bulb. As it's not a complicated process, although the old bulb looked fine I replaced it anyway. After re-assembly, none of the lamps work !!!!!

I have looked online to see where the relevant fuse is but cannot seem to find an appropriate diagram.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance - Newbie_Dave

The nearside fog light is not always wired up by VW, even though there may be a lamp in the holder.

Remove the light unit and check you've plugged it back in properly. There isn't one fuse that controls all the lights.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly ... that explains the (perceived) issue - thanks

On the other issue - upon testing, the reversing and indicator lamps worked so (as you said the connector/wiring may be an issue. I rechecked the wiring to the connector and the wire(s) to the side lights were loose. To fix the issue I pushed the outer part of the wire in as far as I could and gently warmed them up using a heat gun on a low setting. As the cable would heat up quicker than the plug itself, the outer part of the wire stretched slightly to its new position and now fits more snugly. So long as I don't drop/stretch the wire on the unit when I'm changing bulbs it should be fine.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly ... that explains the (perceived) issue - thanks

On the other issue - upon testing, the reversing and indicator lamps worked so (as you said the connector/wiring may be an issue. I rechecked the wiring to the connector and the wire(s) to the side lights were loose. To fix the issue I pushed the outer part of the wire in as far as I could and gently warmed them up using a heat gun on a low setting. As the cable would heat up quicker than the plug itself, the outer part of the wire stretched slightly to its new position and now fits more snugly. So long as I don't drop/stretch the wire on the unit when I'm changing bulbs it should be fine.
Not 100% sure I understand the above but if you heated up electrical wires to pull them longer that might well cause issues in the future. There may well be broken strands that could cause higher resistance / heat and the insulation will be thinner so more susceptible to short circuit.

Yeah - sorry in hindsight not very clear.

Whilst all connected up, I gently puled each wire in the connecting plug - this caused the side lights to flicker. As I could not see a way to trim the wire and re-attach it into the plug, I pushed the appropriate wire (there was a bit of give) into the connecting plug. This meant the connection was much better/tighter, checking the lights were working correctly.
Because I did not want any issues down the line, I gently heated up the wire so the outer covering of the wire did not revert back to its old shape (pulling out the strands from the plug) and potentially causing the lights to flicker. Once cooled, I gently pulled the appropriate wire and it seemed to me to be more firm in the plug.
Reassembled everything, rechecked all was working ... all good.

Back