Mid-Week madness - Spare Wheel -Being an idiot.

Bredenoord

VIP Member
Last week I had my first flat tyre. Like an idiot, I read my manual and saw that my vehicle comes with an emergency inflation and repair kit. Frustratingly, I could not find it and ended up calling the VW Assist service - which was really helpful and quick.

It was a slow puncture, so I could drive to the local repair shop.

I could not imagine going on long drives without a spare, so I started investigating getting a spare and where to fit it......

I then went to look at the back to see where it can be fitted..... Just to find a fitted spare wheel already fitted.....

I have no words...

Last week I had my first flat tyre. Like an idiot, I read my manual and saw that my vehicle comes with an emergency inflation and repair kit. Frustratingly, I could not find it and ended up calling the VW Assist service - which was really helpful and quick.

It was a slow puncture, so I could drive to the local repair shop.

I could not imagine going on long drives without a spare, so I started investigating getting a spare and where to fit it......

I then went to look at the back to see where it can be fitted..... Just to find a fitted spare wheel already fitted.....

I have no words...
I have 2 spare wheels for front and back (staggered), both stored lovingly in my garage, I plan my travels accordingly, I don't leave home. Well it feels like that, but a busy schedule of weekends away looms, relatively local where I'll risk no spare, that's what my Greenflag membership is for. I do need to sort something out for August with a trip to Skye on the cards. Oli at Bognor Motors says he can amend my carrier to fit a 20 inch spare underneath, I really need to speak to him don't I!

Reactions: CAB
If it's any consolation following my pothole incident I didn't put the spare back for a while as I wanted to hammerite it (steel spare)

Last weekend I couldn't actually remember which way up it should go, or even if it mattered.

I've put it back both ways (it's a pig to get back in) and I'm still not sure.

I use the VW jack to assist lifting the wheel carrier. Pretty certain the VW steel wheel can go either way to collect as much road dirt /salt as possible :)

I use the VW jack to assist lifting the wheel carrier. Pretty certain the VW steel wheel can go either way to collect as much road dirt /salt as possible :)
That's about the maximum weight I would trust on the VW jack, good idea, especially with a 20 going under there!

I did at least pick up the tip of using the wheel brace as an extension to the carrier. In the end I used a bar in the garage but trying to get the wheel in place with the bar in was a mission, not helped by the towing socket being in exactly the best place to block the obvious angle.

So long as you have two hands to manoeuvre the wheel and a third hand to hold the brace and manoeuvre the carrier it's fine. All you three handed T6ers out there have it easy...

Another actual tip that had me swearing - the bolt that stays in is semi captive, at least on mine. But that means it drops out of the fixed nut and just spins without coming out. Great for safety when dropping the carrier but as I didn't know it did that I spent a good 10 minutes struggling to hold the carrier in place and try and wind the bolt in wondering why it wouldn't move. Put the security bolt in and took the carrier up about half an inch and then the other one goes in fine so long as you push it up now it's not got the carrier weight on it.

Of course then I have to take the security bolt back out to put the SpareSafe back on...

And I did that twice. I think currently it's outside surface down. Either way it's staying the way.

That's about the maximum weight I would trust on the VW jack, good idea, especially with a 20 going under there!
Ha, ha. Yes they do ask a lot from that type of Jack I’ve never used it to jack up a van but use my lightweight “racing” trolley Jack along with plastic wheel chocks - better safe than sorry

I have 2 spare wheels for front and back (staggered), both stored lovingly in my garage, I plan my travels accordingly, I don't leave home. Well it feels like that, but a busy schedule of weekends away looms, relatively local where I'll risk no spare, that's what my Greenflag membership is for. I do need to sort something out for August with a trip to Skye on the cards. Oli at Bognor Motors says he can amend my carrier to fit a 20 inch spare underneath, I really need to speak to him don't I!
Get a cheap set of Devonports to put on for trips where you might encounter rough surfaces or be miles from the Greenflag van.
I’m just about to put mine on for my European trip.

Get a cheap set of Devonports to put on for trips where you might encounter rough surfaces or be miles from the Greenflag van.
I’m just about to put mine on for my European trip.
It just doesn't look the part though! I read somewhere you did the NC500 or Skye on 20's Si? Am I dreaming again?! You've met my Sarah, she's a right wheel snob!

It just doesn't look the part though! I read somewhere you did the NC500 or Skye on 20's Si? Am I dreaming again?! You've met my Sarah, she's a right wheel snob!
I just had to check my photos and you are indeed correct.
I did put my Devonports on for Norway though.
You can put your normal spare on for emergencies can’t you as you’re not a 4Mo.

I just had to check my photos and you are indeed correct.
I did put my Devonports on for Norway though.
You can put your normal spare on for emergencies can’t you as you’re not a 4Mo.
Oli is sorting out a mod to my spare wheel carrier for a 20 inch spare... apparently! Plus my Velares are 'only £320' a pop! Chicken feed for my wealthy Mrs! I must phone Oli!

Back