LED strip light, what do I need?

Toffermora

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Evening all,
I am looking at fitting a strip of LEDs under my head height cupboard above my sink/ hob as I need more light over there but I am a bit confused about what I need. I have been looking at websites and from what I can tell I need the strip, a connector to wire it up, and a driver.

Now do I need a dimmer as I have read on here they will last longer if you lower the brightness a bit?

Do I need an aluminium profile to put it in to aid in heat removal or can I just stick it on the underside of the cupboard?

Thanks

Evening all,
I am looking at fitting a strip of LEDs under my head height cupboard above my sink/ hob as I need more light over there but I am a bit confused about what I need. I have been looking at websites and from what I can tell I need the strip, a connector to wire it up, and a driver.

Now do I need a dimmer as I have read on here they will last longer if you lower the brightness a bit?

Do I need an aluminium profile to put it in to aid in heat removal or can I just stick it on the underside of the cupboard?

Thanks
I don't believe a driver is required since they are already 12V. Happy to stand corrected if this changes due to requirement to dim. The profile is suggested for heat dissipation (although a strip of aluminium foil tape is an alternative) but in my opinion the profile offers a neater finish and the diffuser goes some way to avoiding the spotting effect.

I used something like this, which gives an even light without dotting. It’s very bright if you catch it directly with your eyes, so aluminium channel and diffuser from the same seller gives a softer effect.

You can see them over the kitchen here. They are connected to the 12v supply via an electronic latching relay so I can use more than one push on/push off switches around the vehicle. About 10W/m so use appropriately sized supply cables. They are earthed to a body earth point to reduce total cable length.

Back