Leak!

Buggirl

DJ VdubRadio
VIP Member
T6 Legend
ok after thinking for weeks that it was condensation on holiday, we had heavy rain last night and when I got home from work I opened the sliding door to get my work bag out and all the back seat nearest the door was wet. I thought maybe it was water spray from when I opened the door. When I looked up I can see water running from the roof panelling. I am now convinced that as its on the passenger side, it's to do with the awning rail I fitted to the roof rail bolts! Only thing that makes any sense.

When I fitted it I just took the bolts out offered the rail up to the paintwork, then put rubber washer and bolt in. Should I have done washer under rail? Advice please.

I had to just accept nothing I could do in the dark last night but I will see if I can do something tonight.

Maybe try a little bit of sealant in the bolt holes and around the bolt. I had the same problem on my first van from a roof rack.

Can you take it back off and bond it with Sikaflex?

I've got the bolt on rail to @Buggirl and have the large rubber washers under the rail and the small ones on top. Not noticed any leaks as yet although when opening the side doors after rain it always does drop a few drips onto the rear seat as the water runs off the roof.

IMG_2257.JPG

Thanks for the replies. When I opened the van door this morning I had a pool on the back seat (will post up a pic). Glad I paid extra for water proof seat covers as it was contained on the top of the cover and luckily seat was bone dry underneath. I wiped it up with a towel but it was running from the over head panel above sliding door and all the way to work I could hear it dripping over the top of the radio! When I got home tonight it had stopped raining so I have taken off the awning rail and tightened the screws back in place. I will see if this stops it. I think it's because I didn't have washers under the metal of the awning rail. We will see! When weather is better I will fit it again with two lots of washers and see what happens.

IMG_1001.JPG
As promised this is the scene that greeted me the other morning! (Excuse the dog hairs but that's why I brought those expensive covers!), just glad I had brought those covers.
Bone dry yesterday morning!

Back