Kombi with 1 side door ?

lenlec

T6 Pro
Been offered a new kombi. Nice colour / spec etc
But it’s only 1 side door.
Is this option a must have do you think ?
I’ve always been used to the drivers side doors on my panel vans.

It's one of the few things you can't change aftermarket, so if you really want a drivers side door then you'll need a twin slider

But most Kombis come with a near side door only. It took me a bit longer to find a twin slider kombi in the right spec

A single slider isn't ideal for a kombi, IMO, but what are your plans for the van? If you're planning a camper conversion, then it won't be an issue.

A single slider isn't ideal for a kombi, IMO, but what are your plans for the van? If you're planning a camper conversion, then it won't be an issue.
Just an every day user for family and 2 kids
It’s a Lwb kombi.

Reactions: Bav
Just an every day user for family and 2 kids
It’s a Lwb kombi.
Well, obviously lots of people live with single-slider kombis, but they're not quite as flexible as twin-slider set-up - e.g. if you're parked facing oncoming traffic, the slider is road-side.

If you’re using the rear seats on a regular basis it’ll be much more user friendly with twin sliders IMO and as Bav says you will always have a kerbside access regardless of which way you are parked.

Also it’s a 3 seater bench in the back not a 2 plus 1. Is it easy to squeeze though into the back of the van still ?

I have a single slider factory Kombi with 2 young kids (still in car seats) and rear triple in the back. I would say the twin slider is slightly rarer when I was looking

If I was in the market for another van I would definitely look for twin slider as we have 2 car child isofix seats seats 1 behind the passenger and the other behind the driver. It makes it tricky to get the child behind the driver in as when you open the sliding door the rear car seat behind the passenger is in the way. We have single captain seats so I just go through from the front to do up the belt of my eldest as they can climb into the seat themselves.
Its not really the end of the world, and once they move away from isofix seats to boosters it wont really be an issue. if you have 2+1 upfront then I wouldn't recommend a twin slider as you wouldnt be able to get the child behind the driver in!

To conclude it think it depends how old your kids are, if they are in child seats the twin slider would definitely be easier

I have a single slider factory Kombi with 2 young kids (still in car seats) and rear triple in the back. I would say the twin slider is slightly rarer when I was looking

If I was in the market for another van I would definitely look for twin slider as we have 2 car child isofix seats seats 1 behind the passenger and the other behind the driver. It makes it tricky to get the child behind the driver in as when you open the sliding door the rear car seat behind the passenger is in the way. We have single captain seats so I just go through from the front to do up the belt of my eldest as they can climb into the seat themselves.
Its not really the end of the world, and once they move away from isofix seats to boosters it wont really be an issue. if you have 2+1 upfront then I wouldn't recommend a twin slider as you wouldnt be able to get the child behind the driver in!

To conclude it think it depends how old your kids are, if they are in child seats the twin slider would definitely be easier
Cheers this one has a 3seat bench not 2 plus 1.
It’s got 2 captains up front

More converters are interested in a single slider Kombi if you ever decide to convert it to a camper, it fits in with their common ‘standard’ layout.

If you're not in a rush, then definitely wait for a twin slider if you're putting kids in the back. I have three kids, having two rear doors is easier for day to day living. You can change the 3 seat bench to a 2+1 but it's not cheap.

My minimum spec for the body was twin slider kombi, captains chairs, 2+1 rear seat and tailgate. Makes a cracking family car (though I needed SWB)

If you're not in a rush, then definitely wait for a twin slider if you're putting kids in the back. I have three kids, having two rear doors is easier for day to day living. You can change the 3 seat bench to a 2+1 but it's not cheap.

My minimum spec for the body was twin slider kombi, captains chairs, 2+1 rear seat and tailgate. Makes a cracking family car (though I needed SWB)
I agree. I like the lwb so we can cram 4 mountain bikes in the back

Depending on age of kids I find a one door slider kombi really advantageous. Only having one door means I can put the rascal at window only side.... Less chance of opening door, no childlock... I also slot stuff down that side, camping chairs etc.... my conversion means I can easily stand on front of three rear seats and belt in little ones...

Mine is a twin slider Kombi. It’s great for a family vehicle and getting the kids in and out. Plus it saves having to walk around to the far side to let them out!

A twin slider was on our preferred spec when we purchased our van. However, we decided upon a single slider in the end since it ticked the box in so many other ways - captains seats, 2+1 in rear etc. Having had the van for over 18 months, and the children being 9 and 14 I have to say I haven't found it an issue, and as some have mentioned above it actually has numerous advantages - shoving gear against the side panel without fear it will all fall out, and we've used the space for electrics, storage, a a location both fixing and storing table. Also one less sliding door to go wrong can only be a positive!
IMG_0273.jpegIMG_0272.jpegIMG_0271.jpeg

@lenlec Unfortunately it’s not a simple job to swap a 3 seat for a 2+1 as the seat mountings are in a different place. Although after saying that it can be done- its just not a straight swap

Back