Kombi rear seat belt position

foggy3061

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Guru
I am currently carrying out a Kombi conversion and am at the point where I need to mount the rear seat belts to the C pillar (using the strengthening plate).

My question is; what height is the upper seat belt mount bolt centre?

I have found two good datum points on the NS and would be grateful if some kind kombi owners could measure their upper seat belt mount bolt positions (or just top of the mount itself!) for me from either of the datums as shown in my photos.

The first is using the underside of a ridge from the roof that blends with the top of the C pillar, the second is a line drawn horizontally rearward from the underside of the sliding door seal.

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

View media item 1276
View media item 1277
View media item 1278
View media item 1279

Foggy are you surface mounting the plate or getting it inside the post somehow? In my van the post is cloth covered so I will have to strip it back a bit which ever way I do it.

Regards Baz

Looking to do the same , did you get your plates and bracket from BEBB ? Phoned them yesterday and they are no longer selling them to the public !

Looking to do the same , did you get your plates and bracket from BEBB ? Phoned them yesterday and they are no longer selling them to the public !

No, I used a genuine VW reinforcing plate, part number: 7H0 810 563

Easy to fit ?

Erm, depends how your metal working skills are!

I modified the reinforcing plate with a hole at either end so I could use a rivets to hold it in place at either end within the C pillar.

Then I transferred the hole pattern onto the outside of the C pillar, slid the plate into place internally, lined up the holes and riveted it in. I'll find some photos! :thumbsup:

Erm, depends how your metal working skills are!

I modified the reinforcing plate with a hole at either end so I could use a rivets to hold it in place at either end within the C pillar.

Then I transferred the hole pattern onto the outside of the C pillar, slid the plate into place internally, lined up the holes and riveted it in. I'll find some photos! :thumbsup:
Just reignited this conversation; I'm looking at swapping out a seat belt and am wondering are the fixing plates fixed in place behind the c pillar or, if I were to remove the upper part of the seatbelt and take the bolt out would the fixing plate fall down inside the c pillar??

Regards

Just reignited this conversation; I'm looking at swapping out a seat belt and am wondering are the fixing plates fixed in place behind the c pillar or, if I were to remove the upper part of the seatbelt and take the bolt out would the fixing plate fall down inside the c pillar??

Regards
No, nothing to worry about all the nuts are captive.

Regards
Is your van a factory kombi or a retrofit?

In a factory kombi, those plates (or whatever is used in the factory) may be spot welded in place. Try and see if there's any slight ~5mm circular depressions around it.

If its a retrofit.......who knows!

Cheers guys appreciated.. it is a retrofit so my concern was that the plate was held in place and the bolt and top part of belt reel were then threaded into place and the plate id held only place by compression against the c pillar

Don't think they will have been spot welded by the fitting company. It just sparked my interest when someone said they needed to rivet their plates in place prior to fitting the belt. Presumably to keep them in place to prevent drop.

Cheers guys appreciated.. it is a retrofit so my concern was that the plate was held in place and the bolt and top part of belt reel were then threaded into place and the plate id held only place by compression against the c pillar

Don't think they will have been spot welded by the fitting company. It just sparked my interest when someone said they needed to rivet their plates in place prior to fitting the belt. Presumably to keep them in place to prevent drop.
There is a thread on the Forum on exactly the same subject with a good solution, finding it is not so easy, no luck so far.
Hence having a suitable title other than “Help” is a good idea

There is a thread on the Forum on exactly the same subject with a good solution, finding it is not so easy, no luck so far.
Hence having a suitable title other than “Help” is a good idea
Are you after the 'Panel van to kombi' thread?

If so, it's pinned.

Back