Knocking noise when cold depress clutch and it goes

Ronnymarks

Any ideas!!
I just brought a T6 17 plate about a month ago with 65k on the clock, I noticed that there was a deep knocking noise coming from the engine and disappeared when the clutch was depressed. It also disappears when the engine warms up. Any ideas or advise the van has now done 68k and it sounds a little worse.

can you get a sound clip of it?

DMF is most noticeable when cold . . (kind of clangy, rattely noise, coming from under the van by the bellhousing)

but also when in park/Neutral DSG or Manual . . .ie parked up or waiting at lights.

Then the sound would go when the clutch was released and drive engaged.

are you saying the sound disappears when the clutch is depressed or set in Nutral?

Have a listen to this vid at 1:15mins to get an idea of failing DMF sound

FYI i had a new DMF at 85K on my last T5.1 (180ps DSG 4M)

Thanks for the comments.

yes the sound disappears when the clutch is depressed (when cold)

yes the sound disappears when the engine is warm.

there is no noise when in gear or in motion.

unfortunately I can’t attached a video

Just had a listen to the video and my noise doesn’t sound like this at all.

it’s a more deeper sound than this.

Iv got a noise similar to what you’ve described, iv got a van that’s done 12K miles and only just picked it up however it only happens on cold start & then I don’t hear it again. It’s annoying & debating what to do about it as it’s probably not warranty if it’s clutch related. I did wonder it’s due to the fact I don’t use the camper much as it stops once it’s been used

Thanks for the comments.

yes the sound disappears when the clutch is depressed (when cold)

yes the sound disappears when the engine is warm.

there is no noise when in gear or in motion.

unfortunately I can’t attached a video
So are we thinking Gearbox idler shaft/bearing?

Not clutch release bearing then . . ?

if its only when the engine and gearbox is engaged . . . but not moving in a gear (so neutral)

but the noise goes when the clutch is depressed . . . so gearbox isolated?

either way DMF would be a possible cause . . .

But without a clip its hard to tell.

You in 35mnth warranty still? . . . . . . ask dealer to look at it for you?

Thanks,

had a word with my local dealer who tells me it’s out of warranty... Would changing the DMF to solid type make any difference to gear change etc?

Thanks,

had a word with my local dealer who tells me it’s out of warranty... Would changing the DMF to solid type make any difference to gear change etc?
It won't make it difficult to change gear but it will increase the drive train vibration.

As said above, don't change to a singlemass flywheel, you will realise why quite quickly if you do!

They are fitted with a dual mass flywheel for a reason! Just a shame that they can, and do fail quite early on sometimes..

Are you sure it's not just the usual rattle/clatter that all manual gearboxes make when they are in neutral and the clutch is released? Commercial vehicles are usually more obvious due to less sound proofing.

For the last few days it doesn’t seem as loud and as deep as it has been recently.

I must admit I’ve started to start the engine let it run for a few moments and then turn it off and then start it again and the noise is still there but not as predominate as before. Appreciate the comments and the advice on the change to solid flywheel.

thanks.

I’ve got what I think a DMF issue aswell. My clutch isn’t higher or slipping at all but it sounds like “waste gate chatter” when I press the clutch in which is odd

Back