Jumping ship from Beach to Carravelle Gen 6

MrsHSG

Brand Newbie here with more questions than is healthy. Sorry.

I've had a Beach in order since last December and managed to wangle the fact that it won't be delivered till at least September. It had been promised in June.

So decided I'm going to go for an ex demo Carravelle Gen 6. Couple of questions if anyone can help?

Do the front seats swivel? I'm getting mixed messages from multiple reviews.

We need electrical hook up or a good leisure battery. Is this easy to fit to the Carravelle?

This is my bucket list purchase after kicking Cancers butt so I'm so excited. Seems within touching distance now.

As standard the front seats don't swivel, but the two in the second row do (hence confusion I imagine)

Unable to answer re leisure battery tho!

Thanks for that. Will research how easy it is to convert them to swivel. Will use it without the middle seats typically so would be good to turn the front two.

Wow...that's rubbish service! Can't help with your questions...but wanted to say hi.

Hi Victoria
Hi ,front seat can be converted to swivel
Most dealerships will have a converter they can use .
I ordered swivels from factory ,but due to delays I canceled them and my dealer got them fitted once my van arrived .
Where are you based

I'm based in Weston-Super-Mare we had the Beach in order with VW Heritage we are buying the Gen 6 from Exeter VW garage.

Is it best to get the dealership to do it or is it better to get them fitted after delivery.

Dread to think how expensive it is!

I think mime were about £400 fitted ,they have to do a modifications to the hand brake as the drivers seat hits it ,so they lower it down .
See if the dealers know anyone ,if not I am sure there will be plenty of places down your way that could do the job

Ah OK I guess I can spread the cost after picking it up. Thanks for that it's not quite as painful as I thought.

Welcome. @MrsHSG
I would fit after, as Id imagine they'd be cheaper?.
@VWVC is also highly recommended, along with @Pauly suggestions! for all things seats, both supply and fit.

One thing I found with my T6 Kombi regarding swivel seats is that the factory swivels are actually a more basic seat design. Don't know whether this is the same with the Caravelle but worth looking into.

Welcome MrsHSG!
We bought our California from Carrs Exeter (the same dealer I presume?) and they've been very good. I had a nose around a Gen 6 while there and the interior is lovely! Just mind the alcantara seats as they can be a bit more prone to wear and tear but they look great.

We also sold our last Cali to Heritage with no issues.

I think I'd look aftermarket for the leisure battery - some good outfits near you.

Last edited:
Welcome along @MrsHSG I can't say I blame you on your choice nor the reason. My beach too just over six months to come through and I'm a little envious of the Gen six when I see them around. Not sure why you would want the front seats to swivel being as there are two facing the other way behind them but you have your reason. You could try the converters mentioned in regards to the Battery I'm sure @slidepods could help out there. Look forward to seeing the photos of you r new van

Welcome @MrsHSG and congratulations on your purchasing reason :cool::thumbsup::whistle:. I wish you every happiness in your Gen 6 and concur with the advice given so far as the places recommended are all from those posters personal knowledge of a quality performance :thumbsup:

Ah OK I guess I can spread the cost after picking it up. Thanks for that it's not quite as painful as I thought.
Hi MrsHSG

I would absolutely speak to Ian at Eclipse custom campers in Yeovil, like many others he is excellent but 100% worth a call for advice.

Nice chap and perfectionist.

Kind Regards

Nick

I have factory fitted swivels, but standard handbrake (ie not altered), and handbrake is a stretch and a lean, but I am 6'2".
Welcome to this fantastic and friendly forum MrsHSG

Hi and congratulations on winning the battle!!
Factory fitted swivels are the best first option as they are solid and well built.
Downside of this is that VW can't incorporate any height adjustment or lumber adjust on seats with factory swivels. This isn't a problem for the passenger seat but it could be for the driver depending who is driving and their height!!
We fit sportscraft swivels as they are very robust and reliable.
We lower the handbrake bracket on the side of a drivers seat base and then swap it for yours.
Total cost is around £400 supply and fit but prices going up slightly soon as suppliers increasing prices.
Hope this helps.
Colin

Hi. I use dorchester radio for all electric work.they are very very good and not expensive. I have used them a number of times over the years. Wendy

Back