Jump start with the leisure battery?

AdrienW

Hello everybody! I have a new T6.1 and live in the north of Norway.

My T6 is new but the engine battery really doesn't hold that much charge when it is very cold, especially below -20C. I already got stuck a few times...

I am wondering, can I jump start my T6 with the leisure battery (under the driver seat)? did someone try it? I mean connecting the engine and leisure batteries together with a standard jump start cable (500A)? Maybe it is best to disconnect everything plugged on the leisure battery before plugging the jump start cables...

Thanks a lot!!

Adrien

My T6 is new but the engine battery really doesn't hold that much charge when it is very cold, especially below -20C. I already got stuck a few times...

I am wondering, can I jump start my T6 with the leisure battery (under the driver seat)? did someone try it? I mean connecting the engine and leisure batteries together with a standard jump start cable (500A)? Maybe it is best to disconnect everything plugged on the leisure battery before plugging the jump start cables...

Thanks a lot!!

Adrien
I’m not sure if it’s safe… but I’d only try this in very desperate circumstances.

Buy one of those lithium jump starters. Reasonably cheap, compact, safe to use. And they often have lights and usb plugs which can prove handy.

I've done this before.

there are two ways of doing it.

++++

first is as you say . . . use a jumper cable to connect the two battery POS together.

this is a bit iffy if you are on your own as the jumper cable is not fused and you can only be at one end . . leaving the possibility of the other end popping off the battery terminal and causing a short. plus the agro of getting the seat battery. . . - so its possible but not advised.

1645863925529.png

++++

The second option is to use a small wire to "hot wire" your VSR or relay that already connects the two battery's . . . most VSR have a pos and neg to activate them . . . so you just manually give it the pos or neg it needs to switch on . . . then both batterys will be connected while you have the hot wire in place.

this can be a bit tricky if you have a auto/smart VSR that activates itself on higher starter voltage . . . i had a Citrix VSR like this . . . but it had a pair of jumper pins that could be used to fire the relay in these situations. they called it Start Assist.

1645863964295.png1645863985516.png

++++

the third option and recommended option as @RunDSG says it to use a small lithium jump pack. . . . the NOCO GB70 and up are recommended . . .

1645863802595.png

Something is not right there.
Is it struggling to crank the engine? Does it crank significantly better with help from jump cables? Or cranks fine but engine doesn't fire up? Have you got any low battery warnings on dash?
In Norway you do have "Webasto" parking heater? Have you used it to preheat the engine?

Yea, if you’re regularly below -20, you must have a block heater? I’m from Canada. We always plug in our cars on extremely cold days.

Back