Interior Overhead Roof Console / Cubby Hole Swap

Any updates on the project or have I missed it? Going to install single din android head unit and I need a 50mm drop for the screen to pop up correctly. Currently exploring ideas
Hi

I tried a few options but the original unit without the sunglasses holder has the alarm sensors in a fixed location. The one I bought has different sensors and control box. They aren’t interchangeable. The only way could see it working is if I could cut the sensors and button section off the original and plastic weld it to the one with the sunglasses holder. This may be a option for the future and I’m keeping an eye out for one on eBay. Suffice to say it’s not an easy fix.

I have a complete T6 headliner with the center console and the pocket for sunglasses if anyone is interested ?

It’s the control panel for a California so a lot of the functions will be out of use I believe
i agree with you that in the photo i posted the control panel is fixed, but if you look there is a sunglasses holder where i have a blank in mine.
1619119638354.png

I've been doing a little bit of looking in to this as well, I've managed to find a parts diagram for the Cali version

...and the Caravelle/Shuttle version, which confusingly uses the same drawing as above but with different part numbers because they're physically different

The bits for the sunglasses holder part appear to be common to the Touareg, unfortunately the frame itself is different, and might be too different to make it unviable

The Cali frame is 7E7868438 and designed for the interior light switch and alarm sensors to be on the curved bit as per the photo above, with the battery/heating controls on the front bit. Unfortunately, the Caravelle/Shuttle version has the switch and sensors all integrated to the frame so it won't swap over. So it's probably a case of either swapping to the complete Cali setup and either making the battery/heating controls work, leaving them dead, or blanking that bit off, or grafting the two frames together which puts you back to the half Touareg/half T5 setup anyway...

The Cali frame looks not far off the Touareg one - did it look like the Touareg one would physically fit? The Cali type interior monitor trim 7H7858970 appears to be able to fit in the Touareg frame, however that trim only allows for two sensors and we have three (part number 7E1951171). The Cali actually uses a different part for the interior sensors that just uses two, and it's the same as the T6 one (7E1951172). So if the sensors will fit, it might even be possible to use the Cali/T6 sensors in the Touareg frame.

Sorry this has turned into a bit of a ramble but I reckon between us we might be able to get somewhere with this... If you can give me a steer on how well the Touareg frame fits I might just buy one and have a go

This is so strange... i.e. Multivan/Cali are quite expensive version of Transporters but VW does not support basic stuff there like: autolock doors, moving down mirrors on reverse, folding on close, etc. Even such "standard" sunglasses holder is pain (but was available in previous T5!). Disappointing a bit...

Thank you for the research, I cannot wait if someone will have chance to check this. Would be cool mod!

I've finally got to the bottom of this, boys and girls...

I bought a complete Touareg console (7L0868403) and got myself all excited. As you can see, they are very similar - but the Touareg one has some extra plastic bits. With a bit of cutting it can be adapted to work in a Transporter, it's pretty much trial and error but it will physically fit.

orig tour console 1.jpg
orig tour console 2.jpg
tour console.jpg

In the meantime, an early T5 console (7L6868349F) with some bits missing came up for £25, so I ordered that, as it's the "right colour". I had also ordered the T6 interior monitor sensors (7E1951172) - because, as posted before, the Touareg ones don't work, and the original Transporter ones (7E1951171) don't fit due to the length of the cables.

The interior monitor unit clips straight into place, and I just had to unclip the black angled plastic covers from the sensors before they would push into the holes in the light switch. The bit towards the windscreen would hold a third sensor in the Touareg, as well as the bluetooth mic, but as we only have two alarm sensors now, it only does the bluetooth mic now, so I moved it to the drivers side. Clipped into place, and job done :cool: Just need to clean the grubby marks off the headlining and buy some sunglasses now.

console alm sensor.jpg

console bottom.jpg
console top.jpg
console fitted.jpg
console fitted 2.jpg

I’ve bought a t5 surround to test.

View attachment 87578
Fozzy, I have a 2016 T6 shuttle with the same overhead console as your
“un-modded” one.
I was wondering if it is at all possible in your opinion that the glasses holder part only (cover plate,/pocket where the glasses sit/side swivels) would physically fit into the shuttle overhead console’s middle opening, with the middle opening cover removed of course and some dark magic to get the swivels to sit in the framework.
What you think?

Fozzy, I have a 2016 T6 shuttle with the same overhead console as your
“un-modded” one.
I was wondering if it is at all possible in your opinion that the glasses holder part only (cover plate,/pocket where the glasses sit/side swivels) would physically fit into the shuttle overhead console’s middle opening, with the middle opening cover removed of course and some dark magic to get the swivels to sit in the framework.
What you think?
Have you a photo of the one you've currently got?

If it's any help I've still got that Touareg console in the loft, the sunglasses holder part is there with all the pins and fixing etc, I could be tempted to part with it for the price of postage + a beer if it'll help you

If it's any help I've still got that Touareg console in the loft, the sunglasses holder part is there with all the pins and fixing etc, I could be tempted to part with it for the price of postage + a beer if it'll help you
Thank you for your suggestion.
I was hoping you (or anyone else) would have been in a position to have the sunglasses holder to hand and offered it up to the shuttle console

Thank you for your suggestion.
I was hoping that you would still be in a position of having the glasses holder to hand and the shuttles overhead console to hand so you could try and dry fit the holder into the centre cubby of the console, just to see if it sits flush when the holder is closed.
I could have then maybe doctored the console a bit to make the holders mechanism/swivels/hinge to work.
I appreciate this thread was active a while ago and things have moved on.
Thank you though, it’s much appreciated.

50D2541A-89B3-4B59-84AB-59057493F04D.jpeg

Ok, that's the same one that I started out with. I had the same initial plan as you, the brackets/fixing points for the sunglasses holder are 'nearly' present but not quite all there from what I can remember. It's like they used the same mould as a template but then removed some bits.

I reckon (again, from memory) if you were handy with a Dremel and ok at plastic welding you could modify your console but you'd need a donor one (ie Touareg) for the missing bits.

Back