Insurance for mechanical failure of parts

osman

Steve O
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi I’ve just had my water pump start leaking and been told it needs replacing the van is a late 2016 t6 with around 70,000 miles on the clock .. anybody think that’s a bit early to be called wear and tear ? Had a similar issue with the OS drive shaft and stub .. that’s started making a thumping noise and has also been described as wear and tear rather than mechanical failure.. a how I have a policy that gives me two years of cover fir mechanical failure so would like to damn well use it at some point .. but they seem to be able to wriggle out of everything

4years old and 70k....

I'd say that's a fair claim for wear and tear for engine ancillaries...after the 3year warranty.

But....... I also have the 4th and 5th year factory extended warranty and would expect that warranty to cover it.

What extended warranty have you got?

So I think I'd be contacting VWCV UK for a claim up..

There are terms and conditions in the externded warranty small print . . . . But its a bit grey and subject to opinion.

I bought the van second hand one year ago and it’s a 2 year 5 star insurance policy against total failure of orignal manufacturers parts (electrical and mechanical )
WMS Group VGS repair and maintenance agreement cost me £500 probably a total rip off but would like to use it if at all possible

So not the VW warranty then..

Your In the hands of the gods then....

Maybe have a moan at the warranty issuer and see what they say....

Either way keep us posted on the outcome.

I understood from other threads that replacing the water pump after 4 years when changing the cam-belt was considered normal practice.

Belt and braces on vag to do water pump and cambelt at once , I just got mine yesterday for my 2016 will be doing it in next few weeks

I understood from other threads that replacing the water pump after 4 years when changing the cam-belt was considered normal practice.
Ok that’s good to know .. it’s certainly leaking as I had to top up the coolant after a long drive a few days ago

Belt and braces on vag to do water pump and cambelt at once , I just got mine yesterday for my 2016 will be doing it in next few weeks
Yes they are doing cambelt as well .. so I reckon if this is standard the insurance company will laugh at me if I even bother them about it ... don’t want anything else to go wrong but hope to get them for something .. b#####ds get away with money for nothing..

Not sure what they will say you might get the pump if you have a policy but the belt would be due as four years old

Not sure what they will say you might get the pump if you have a policy but the belt would be due as four years old
Yes the belt is due I know .. I think perhaps the pump should not just be expected to fail as a standard situation

I’ve found vag pumps aren’t as good as they used to be and I think they know it as they haven’t wanted the pumps back as exchange now for a long time

When you think though of what a water pump goes through with temperature changes rotary movement, water obviously lot thinner than oil and the pressure, if you were doing the belt on service schedule another forty quid for a pump is nothing compared to what they do

The pump shouldn’t fail at four years. If it was expected to fail at 4 years there would be a VW planned service job to replace it BEFORE 4 years and there isn’t.
Read the small print on the insurance policy and if you are 100% sure you are covered take it further.
If you don’t get a result from the insurance company use the Insurance Ombudsman service (it will be mentioned in the insurance policy), keep all communication to email and make sure that all details are 100% correct. You just might win.

Hmm I've never known a vw dealer not to replace the water pump without the belt, it's like an unwritten rule so if this van is 2016 and 70,000 should have had a belt ?

Hmm I've never known a vw dealer not to replace the water pump without the belt, it's like an unwritten rule so if this van is 2016 and 70,000 should have had a belt ?
Yes belt was due in jan but due to lockdown 6 months mot extension etc etc lack of miles things got extended .. actually it’s a bit strange that I had a full service in July at a VW garage and yet this has not been mentioned until now

Back