I'm selling up!

Californiaman

T6 Pro
Hi all not been on here for a while hope all is well with everyone.
Well it's not how I thought it was going to pan out but at just over a year old I've decided to sell my T6.

The van has been faultless during this time (apart from an overly hot heater!), but it's been a magnet for every bad and ignorant driver in the south west it seems.
It all started with a nice dent in the tailgate - no idea how it got there but nobody owned up to it.
Ever since then every time I've washed it I've noticed new scratches and marks and to top it all off when I was parked in a hospital car park for a week recently while working there I had somebody drive into the side of it one day, followed by someone else flooring it the following day.
I've decided that it's not worth having a nice van because there are too many ignorant d#### around.
So once I've got the bodywork sorted I'm bringing my plans forward a couple of years and getting a full camper conversion done on it and selling up.
A shame as I've loved having it - looks great, drives great and get plenty of positive comments about it but I'm going to stick to using my slightly beat up sprinter for work for now.

Anybody else suffering from excessive damage or is it just me??

Nope......not just you California man! I sat in mine.....parked out of the way in an asda carpark.......in comes an ancient Ged Klampit in his f*cked skoda......oh no, he's coming my way! F*ck me........he pulls in next to me and bang.....opens his door against mine! I leapt out.....called him some choice names, told him to have some effing respect.......he just looked at me like the gormless idiot he was (picture the goon from the PEK chopped pork adverts in the '70's) and never said a word! I examined mine.....no damage that time but I have a few curious looking scratches to polish out! I'm really sorry you feel that way......what an effing world!

Oh no @Californiaman !!
We've been luckier but I'm having a detailer sort of two mysterious sets of bonnet scratches that I think were caused by a cat.

The BMhas picked up more than it's fair share of scuffs (also being sorted) despite extreme care but I just accept them after swearing a lot) and sort them of possible.

A good detailer can sort most issues out and they are pretty good value IMO.

A total pain for you though; I had to get rid of my beloved mk4 R32 Golf in Bristol when it suddenly became the cities number one target. Lost sleep, went a bit loopy but in hindsight, I'm glad I didn't catch the perpetrators as I'd probably still be in a prison.

It's only a car/van even if it's a very nice one.

Well it's not how I thought it was going to pan out but at just over a year old I've decided to sell my T6.

The van has been faultless during this time (apart from an overly hot heater!), but it's been a magnet for every bad and ignorant driver in the south west it seems.
It all started with a nice dent in the tailgate - no idea how it got there but nobody owned up to it.
Ever since then every time I've washed it I've noticed new scratches and marks and to top it all off when I was parked in a hospital car park for a week recently while working there I had somebody drive into the side of it one day, followed by someone else flooring it the following day.
I've decided that it's not worth having a nice van because there are too many ignorant d#### around.
So once I've got the bodywork sorted I'm bringing my plans forward a couple of years and getting a full camper conversion done on it and selling up.
A shame as I've loved having it - looks great, drives great and get plenty of positive comments about it but I'm going to stick to using my slightly beat up sprinter for work for now.

Lol for "flooring read "dooring"! Bit of a work related auto correct there.
Yeah it's a real shame thanks for the responses.
I suppose I expected the odd scratch or door ding and I've tried not to be too precious about it, but it's got beyond a joke now.
I was sat in my California in a car park a few weeks back waiting for the missus. It's 8 years old but I'm still anxious parking it. Some old bag rolled up in a banged out Skoda and obviously she decided to park next to me. Nearly reverses into me trying to park in the first place and then bang as she opens the door.
Jumped out and had a go at her but she couldn't have cared less and just walked off thinking I was the d#######.

There's a decent smart repairer local to me and I'm hoping he can pull out the dents on the T6 and repaint where needed without having to do whole panels but I'm sure it'll still cost me a few hundred.
The way things have been going if I kept it for the 3 years as intended there wouldn't be a straight panel left on it!

The funny thing was in the 2 days i'd rammed the sprinter in the tiny spaces in the hospital car park there wasn't a mark on it. I just don't feel it's worth having a nice van any more, I feel a lot happier when leaving the sprinter parked up as I'm not bothered about it.

If you've still got both.. Run sprinter and keep the '6 for the better days.. Or get some side running board/steps.. This keeps doors away from your panels.. Oh and a f770.

Well I have a bit of damage on mine. But it was to be expected with my job. Pulling it out of a muddy bog was fun when it 3 weeks old. I've had a car scrape my rear bumper and I have a fair few scratches. I keep a little fund (£50 a month) for a respray after the lease is up in 4 years.

I look after as best I can and send it to the detailers when it needs it. I guess it's expensive to look after but, my gosh. I don't think I've ever driven a commercial vehicle that delivers so much. The weight it pulls is effortless. When I'm working I normally tow an array or trailers and chippers. On the 204 you hardly notice. I have no fatigue when driving long distances and I hardly even use my car because the van is still exiting.

Give it a hard think before you sell. It'll be worse spending all that time regretting the sale.

That is crap, no wonder it's getting to you. But why have a camper conversion done and then sell? Surely you won't get your money back on it, wouldn't you be better just selling as is?

That is crap, no wonder it's getting to you. But why have a camper conversion done and then sell? Surely you won't get your money back on it, wouldn't you be better just selling as is?
I've had a look at it in the past and it seems as though when converted i'd get my money back and maybe even make a few quid, if i just sell it as is then I'm guaranteed to lose a few grand especially after only a year. Plus it would be fun to have a little project!

In the meantime, your misfirtunes and magnetic poles might reverse...

Last edited:
Well I have a bit of damage on mine. But it was to be expected with my job. Pulling it out of a muddy bog was fun when it 3 weeks old. I've had a car scrape my rear bumper and I have a fair few scratches. I keep a little fund (£50 a month) for a respray after the lease is up in 4 years.

I look after as best I can and send it to the detailers when it needs it. I guess it's expensive to look after but, my gosh. I don't think I've ever driven a commercial vehicle that delivers so much. The weight it pulls is effortless. When I'm working I normally tow an array or trailers and chippers. On the 204 you hardly notice. I have no fatigue when driving long distances and I hardly even use my car because the van is still exiting.

Give it a hard think before you sell. It'll be worse spending all that time regretting the sale.
I know what you mean but it's not a snap decision, this has been on my mind for a while.
Although I've just read on another thread that BlackBerry is being discontinued so it could become a bit of a collector's item!

I've had a look at it in the past and it seems as though when converted i'd get my money back and maybe even make a few quid, if i just sell it as is then I'm guaranteed to lose a few grand especially after only a year. Plus it would be fun to have a little project!
Fair enough, hope things work out well whatever you decide :thumbsup:

If you've still got both.. Run sprinter and keep the '6 for the better days.. Or get some side running board/steps.. This keeps doors away from your panels.. Oh and a f770.
That's exactly what I have been doing for the last year, i'd been using the sprinter for work but when I saw how tight for space the car park was I thought I'd be better off in the T6 to avoid getting a ticket every day - wish I hadn't bothered now as the tickets would be been cheaper!
I've got a Nextbase 412 dash cam but it's not going to stop the van getting damaged, and wouldn't have picked up the two incidents in the car park either. And it seems as though the police aren't very interested in footage unless somebody's been hurt or worse, so i'm not entirely sure of their value. Would be useful for the insurance company i suppose in case of an incident.
It's hard to describe the difference when I'm using the sprinter for work though, I'll park it anywhere and literally not care less whereas in the T6 if it's parked anywhere slightly dodgy I'll fret about it all day.
And I've got used to all that space now, the T6 feels tiny when I go back to it.

Last edited:
I'd feel the same way. After saving up for 3 years to buy mine outright as a private use van and no Vat back I try to keep mine as immaculate as possible. A lot of hard work went into affording it and I can't afford another so I need it to look good and stay in good nick for as long as possible. Hope it works out for you whatever you do.

Partly why we bought an old 2006 Subaru Outback as a "beater" which has actually turned out to be a great car; apart from poor mpg, it's nippy, grippy, has a huge boot, is comfy and very good off road.
And I don't mind bouncing it off the odd hedge!

Partly why we bought an old 2006 Subaru Outback as a "beater" which has actually turned out to be a great car; apart from poor mpg, it's nippy, grippy, has a huge boot, is comfy and very good off road.
And I don't mind bouncing it off the odd hedge!
Yeah i get it!
I only got the Sprinter for a big contract i had on last year, the plan was to sell it again when it was finished in October but I got attached to it.
Carefree driving and loads of room!

I have managed to acquire some very odd scratches! My 21 year old polo decided she would give my bus its first dink in the passenger rear wheel arch area! I have brought mine to use though and I wouldn't be without her. All the nice new VWs I have owned have all been dented and scratched by idiots but I have found the more you try to be careful, the more stuff happens. Just use it and don't worry and if you look like you don't care (within reason), others tend to stay away!

I have managed to acquire some very odd scratches! My 21 year old polo decided she would give my bus its first dink in the passenger rear wheel arch area! I have brought mine to use though and I wouldn't be without her. All the nice new VWs I have owned have all been dented and scratched by idiots but I have found the more you try to be careful, the more stuff happens. Just use it and don't worry and if you look like you don't care (within reason), others tend to stay away!
How did your polo manage that?

Back