I put petrol in but runs ok.

tram

Engineer
T6 Pro
The tank was almost empty. I had to open passenger door to fill it but got distracted talking to girlfriend, and put unleaded supreme in, but only £18 when I noticed. I topped it up with diesel supreme, so that was another £80. I reckoned that the dilution would be such that the petrol would be carried along with the diesel.

Anyway, it all seems good and no difference.

The lady in the petrol station said, 'Oh, it'll b reight. Yer can put petrol in a diesel but not diesel in a petrol. I put some petrol in mi Shogun an it was all reight, but it'll splutter a bit as it gets rid o' shit'.

I wonder if anyone else has done this and what happened. And do you think the petrol will have mixed in or will it be floating on the diesel?

Cheers.

I did it with a Peugeot 306 turbo diesel car was empty put £30 of petrol in very jerky and every time I dipped the clutch it would stall, it stoped in the end and I had to drain it next morning.no damage to the engine at all but didn't like the taste of petrol for breakfast .:(
Bit of petrol in a Diesel engine cleans the injectors out so won't hurt it lucky it wasn't £80 of petrol :eek: you have diluted it so should be ok m8

My wife filled ours with petrol and didnt realise at the time and drove home, thankfully the petrol station was close but it did go through to the engine and was running like a bag of nails by the time i got home to see what was up.
Realising what had happened i called out a local wrong fuelling service (it was late, dark and cold and needed the vehicle first thing in the morning) and they sucked the tank empty, put a little tub of cleaner in and a small amount of diesel so i could get to the filling station and brimmed the tank with super/extreme diesel (whatever its called) and its been fine ever since, the engine will actually run on unleaded but extremely rough, refusing to idle and smokes like hell, so as long as its running ok i think you will be alright
Personally i would run it very low then put some cleaner in with about £5 worth of diesel and run it for a few miles to make sure the cleaner gets through all the parts then fill the tank with extreme again
Its worth noting if you tell VW the mistake they will put it on the vehicles record and may question warranty if you ever get engine problems (injectors in particular) so i would keep it to yourself !

Yep, petrol into a diesel with good dilution, you should be ok. Diesel into a petrol then you're in the poop. If I were you I'd top it up with diesel every quarter of a tank just to get that dilution increased.

Would any of the emissions controls on the van show up anything? I would have thought if the engine really wasn't happy with the fuel being burnt that an engine management light might come on?

Thanks for the reassurance. That lady in the station also said that a taxi driver regularly puts some petrol in his diesel, so that must be to clean the injectors then.

Yes, I will just keep topping it up to dilute it to nothing.

Just keep topping it up with diesel and dilute the petrol out

The diesel lubricates the fuel pump and petrol strips that lubrication, put too much through and you will kill the fuel pump. A small amount diluted like the amount you have done will be fine, but if it goes wrong I wouldn't mention it to the dealer you might struggle to get warranty work done.

every day's a school day on this forum.....I thought it was the other way round? Good to know though cos I'd have pooped in my pants! Hope it's ok mate.

Back