Horn Upgrade - Summer 2023. Denali Sound Bomb and wiring harness

blankenstein

In the process of upgrading the van horn on a VW T6.1. Have read the prior threads on the forum and it seems what others have done has been pretty complicated. I've opted for a Denali Sound Bomb horn (SoundBomb™ Original Dual-Tone Air Horn), and a Denali pre-made wiring harness (Universal Wiring Harness for SoundBomb Horns - 5.5ft). All seems very simple with just plug and play. Tested it on the battery tonight and it works fine. Aim to fit tomorrow. Will post some pics on how it's gone, and the final result.

Dead east to fit. Took bumper off. Removed old horn. Cut wires about 5cm before connector of the old one in case I need to refit.

Crimped new spade connector terminals on.

Bit of testing and adjusting to get the new horn mounted in the right place but eventually got it sorted.

Fed cables up inside front bumper, zipped onto bonnet opening sheath. Wired into battery.

Piece of cake!

I wouldn’t like to try doing this through the wheel arch access port and without removing bumper, unless you’re a gynaecologist!

IMG_3467.jpeg

IMG_3472.jpeg

IMG_3471.jpeg

IMG_3470.jpeg

IMG_3473.jpeg

IMG_3474.jpeg

IMG_3475.jpeg

So what makes it an “upgrade”? Is it louder than the standard horn?
I have a Sound Bomb mini on my motorbike, but it’s not necessarily louder, just a different tone, so I was a bit disappointed.

Yes, louder, better tone and more effective. A dog literally shit itself when I gave it a blast to warn him to get off the road earlier because of the new horn. Have you ever seen that with your standard horn!?

The mini is 113dB and the normal spundbomb is 120dB, so significantly louder given it’s a log scale.

Yes, louder, better tone and more effective. A dog literally shit itself when I gave it a blast to warn him to get off the road earlier because of the new horn. Have you ever seen that with your standard horn!?

The mini is 113dB and the normal spundbomb is 120dB, so significantly louder given it’s a log scale.
I’ve had many a dog drop when they’ve seen my horn!

I added airhorns to mine, they sure make a difference. Surely that earth should not be direct to the battery and should be on the chassis somewhere else?

Back