Hi all, thanks for allowing me to join the group, I have a lot to learn and hopefully contribute at some point

LandShark

We are looking to replace our day car with a T6 camper, this will allow us to continue to tow our caravan and restart our camping lifestyle which we used to enjoy until age a bad back wouldn't tolerate the ground any longer. My wife and our 40 kilo German Shepherd will be traveling in the camper, I have lots of questions and a lot to learn, I'm a retired mechanic so can do a lot of the practical stuff myself, below is what I've gleaned so far;

1) my van choice is T6, diesel, swb, auto with tailgate
2)i have to make provision for our dog to travel safely in a crate but have freedom at night to sleep in the living area with us (this is my biggest stumbling block atm
3)Undecided to choose an already converted one to adapt to our needs, start with an empty van or consider buying a California (expensive and still unsure if it would fulfil our needs
It would be great to hear your thoughts,
Many thanks in advance

LWB
I would go and see some converted vans and take your dog crate with you. As DXX says, I think it will have to be a LWB.

Pete
Good advice we have started to look but currently there is not much stock in dealers atm so will be looking to visit some camper meets etc, i did consider LWB but was trying to avoid it but will choose the best option after advice and looking around

Thanks, I think you may be right on this

Do you need the crate? We clip ours into the rear seatbelts with a travel harness on. For sleeping we put the dogs on the double swivel seat and they stay there all night...followed by jumping in the bed at the first meeting of eyes in a morning!

Although.. I have just re read your post and your dog sounds slightly larger than our 2 little frenchies!

I have only crated dogs when they are pups - after that I train them to lie down. (Yes, I know….those who wish to remind me of the law, regulations, best practice etc can take a ticket and form an orderly queue!) We have a California Beach (two kids and two dogs) which we use to tow a twin-axle.

Although.. I have just re read your post and your dog sounds slightly larger than our 2 little frenchies!
Yes, he's a handful he also does protection dog sport!

Some friends of mine have a German Shepherd of the same size, they bought an old banger for dog trips as he trashes every car he travels it.
I’ve personally walked 5 miles home from the pub to avoid getting in the back with him........
Lol, don't blame you

I have only crated dogs when they are pups - after that I train them to lie down. (Yes, I know….those who wish to remind me of the law, regulations, best practice etc can take a ticket and form an orderly queue!) We have a California Beach (two kids and two dogs) which we use to tow a twin-axle.
That rig sounds great is yours a LWB

LWB - that 400mm doesn't sound much but it makes all the difference! That means a California is out!!;) Not having the slider on the offside is a plus too, assuming you want to avoid losing kids/dogs/mother in law.... ok, maybe the mother in law.....:slow rofl:

Do you need the crate? We clip ours into the rear seatbelts with a travel harness on. For sleeping we put the dogs on the double swivel seat and they stay there all night...followed by jumping in the bed at the first meeting of eyes in a morning!
Same

No, SWB! This is us heading off on holidays a few weeks ago!

View attachment 126683
That's amazing just what I was dreaming of

LWB - that 400mm doesn't sound much but it makes all the difference! That means a California is out!!;) Not having the slider on the offside is a plus too, assuming you want to avoid losing kids/dogs/mother in law.... ok, maybe the mother in law.....:slow rofl:
Lol, yes valid points, LWB it is then

Back