Help me diagnose this noise please?!

The Bear78

145 000 miles and just broken in!
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Afternoon all,
My 2016 EU5 140 occasionally makes a strange warbling noise. It seems more prevalent when warm and most noticeably during re-gen. To me it sounds like a pump cavitating but could be a number of things!
It tends to occur on a light throttle or during deceleration, rarely under load but doesn't appear to be predictable.
Anyway, I have a clip of the noise while driving around a private car park. 1st gear, light throttle and the van is in the middle of a regen'. I had thought it was a sign of something worn but as you'll hear it can manifest itself in a regular pattern, in the clip it seems to alternate between the warble and the injector clatter. Maybe a fuel pressure regulation issue?...
What do you knowledgeable lot think?
T6 Noise - YouTube

Might be the air control solenoid that operates the turbo. Used to be called the N75 or "Moo" valve.

Sounds normal to me. Mine makes the same noise when it's regening and the engine is idling. Sounds like an old washing machine going round.

Thank you both.
It doesn't seem to be getting any worse of affecting performance so I'll just monitor it.

Hi. And no!
I can only assume it is linked to the regen as per the above replies. It hasn't got notably worse so I've just accepted that it happens.

Back