Hello. Brain Fried.

Hi, just joined.

I had a fantastic idea at the beginning of this year. We'll be paying the mortgage off in a few months, so sell the motorbike and get a loan for a campervan once the mortgage is paid off. I can then do the usual European touring with the wife and granddaughter.
I originally thought around 20k should suffice. Then I decided that a VW T5/6 would be the way to go, so up to 35k. But a separate van, then get it converted to my spec would be better so 40k. Although I need a 140/150 bhs van with 6 gears and cruise control for motorway driving. Need a tailgate too. A highline is a must. I'll of course need a comfort dash instead of the "builders" dash as I call it. Oooh and led headlights! (This forum has a lot to answer for.) Absolutely need to be off grid for a good few days so perhaps a solar panel and/or or two leisure batteries. The wife wants leather seats. I need a speaker upgrade and a subwoofer. iPhone car play support. Heater control from an app would be the stuff of dreams. I need that.
I went for a first ever test drive a few days ago with a T6 Kombi. Felt lovely. Then I went to Exploria to have a look around. Graeme spent nearly 3 hours showing me around all the loveliness. It's the db's but now I'm struggling to get it under 50k. I may need to look elsewhere.
Anyway..... Glad to have joined this lovely forum. No doubt I'll have a few questions in the coming weeks. Hopefully this time next year I'll be driving around in my perfect VW camper.
Bye for now.

Welcome, I raided one on my smaller pension plans to fund a T6.
I had a T25, sold it and was going to swop it for a T4, then looked at T5’s, then test drove a T6 and went totally crazy with a 204 DSG Exec 4 motion.
I’m only ever going to buy one new van so sod it aimed high!

Loving that list of 'must haves'... When choosing mine, I went down the Highline panel van route. I gave the people I bought it from (Leighton Vans) a list of what I wanted them to do (Electrics, Carpeting, Smartbed, Re-Map, Leather, 20" Alloys etc and then did the furniture myself to save some cash. I went for Evo-Motion Design and only took me a weekend to build and pop it in.

I don't have all the comprehensive list that you've mentioned, however, given the choice I'd still only pay the low £30k+ that I paid and have £20k left over.

Much of the joy of owning mine is the buying and developing mine over time. I'm 12 months in and still get excited about new bits that I want to buy.. I'm also aware that after 12 months I realise I don't really need what I thought I wanted when I bought it..

Good luck with your decision.. :thumbsup:

Saw this at Marshalls in South Oxon today, sits lowered on 20" with a ATB kit on it.
Might add they had a few out on the forecourt woth looking at especally the red Caravell with nice leather interior

IMG_2254.JPG

Hi All - just joined now and after 30+ years wanting a "splittie" I've earned enough to buy a Dub - I'm picking up a new T6 from Leightons on Thursday and so far I cant recommend them high enough - DB id suggest having a mooch round their site as they are good with bling. mines a 204 LWB with DSG and electric everything and no builders dash - My kids fell in love with heated quilted Bentley leather seats on the test drive :) - just another option for you......oh one of my sons will be in the passenger seat of "Daffy Dub" (check out the duck on the dash as you pass) waving madly at other vans as they pass so I'm also really hoping that folks will wave back :)

I personally like the 'builders dash'!

It's more practical when accessing stuff and charging multiple devices than having compartments with lids. Comfort dash looks very nice but isn't practical to use when travelling and camping. ;)

D.

I guess I'm just a clutter nutter like most folk but at least my OCD and Feng shui don't kick off if the "crap cover" is closed :eek:

I personally like the 'builders dash'!

It's more practical when accessing stuff and charging multiple devices than having compartments with lids. Comfort dash looks very nice but isn't practical to use when travelling and camping. ;)

I’m with you on this one. I have no problem with the less ‘comfortable’ dash. Suits me perfectly for throwing crap in there and don’t see the whopping price difference.

Thanks for the replies so far.
I’ll check out Leighton in the near future thanks. Right now it’s full steam ahead with paying the mortgage off.
Sold the bike after 8 years of adventure. I’ve been to Scotland a few times, Ireland twice, wales once and the Alps a couple of times. The Picos mountains too in northern Spain. Been round the foothills of the Himalayas on an Enfield and the karst Highlands of northern Vietnam on a soviet Minsk. Time for a new adventure though!

Back