Headlight Confusion

Angela

Guys I know so.e of you are really technically minded so after reading my little booklet I'm more confused than ever.
My headlights seems to have 2 bulbs in them should both of them work all the time. I was driving home the other night and it was so dimly lit that I had to switch the main beams on just to check if they were on.

I'm just confused and wondering if I need to go and strap two torches o. The number so I can see when I'm driving at night or may one of my fuses have blown.

Typical girly questions I bet your wondering why you let me o the forum now.

Ha :) No, it sounds like you've just got the standard H4 headlights. That is what they're like. I too remember driving along trying to work out if they were on.

Loads of threads on here about upgrades. TransporterHQ lights or VW H7s are both decent affordable alternatives.

Thanks for the info guys. I thought by buying a t6 highline I'd be alright. I’m searching through all my van pictures to work out what lights I have. I think they are the h4. VW cheapskates. Guess I'm now in the market for some new headlights so I will be trawling through the forum when I'm not in the middle of a pitch black field.Screenshot_20190308-201059_Gallery.jpg

Thanks for the info guys. I thought by buying a t6 highline I'd be alright. I’m searching through all my van pictures to work out what lights I have. I think they are the h4. VW cheapskates. Guess I'm now in the market for some new headlights so I will be trawling through the forum when I'm not in the middle of a pitch black field.View attachment 38530
Yes H4's i'm afraid for the short term you can upgrade the bulbs, but what i have done and loads of others on here is to swap the headlights for H7's, or as a last resort employ someone to walk in front holding a red flag;)

Yes H4's i'm afraid for the short term you can upgrade the bulbs, but what i have done and loads of others on here is to swap the headlights for H7's, or as a last resort employ someone to walk in front holding a red flag;)

Thanks for confirming it for me.

We’re you happy with the H7’s, is it just a case of swap 1 for 1 no extra things needed. I nearly fell over when I saw the price of LED’s almost worth buying a small car to drive in front of me to lead the way.

Thanks for confirming it for me.

We’re you happy with the H7’s, is it just a case of swap 1 for 1 no extra things needed. I nearly fell over when I saw the price of LED’s almost worth buying a small car to drive in front of me to lead the way.

Yes i am very happy with them, you can get them coded so the dip beam and main beam come on together (my next job) you just need a member with vcds.

They are a straight swap but you do have to take the bumper off. I bought mine from the forum shop but some members have had some good deals on Greed bay

If you do a search there s plenty to fry your mind, here's one for a start
H4's

P.S your not the first to ask this so don't worry :D

There's a billion page thread about the aftermarket headlights on this forum and there are two very similar looking units (soon to be three). If you go along that route, the type linked above with the 15 little leds as indicators have several reported failures on the DRL (mine included) and as the DRL also acts as your side lights actually makes the vehicle illegal to drive.

There are alternatives to selling a major organ to buy original VW LED units :)

VW T6 TRANSPORTER 2015-19 BLACK CHROME INNER LED DRL HEADLIGHT REPLACEMENT UNITS | eBay

Oooo
Yes i am very happy with them, you can get them coded so the dip beam and main beam come on together (my next job) you just need a member with vcds.

They are a straight swap but you do have to take the bumper off. I bought mine from the forum shop but some members have had some good deals on Greed bay

If you do a search there s plenty to fry your mind, here's one for a start
H4's

P.S your not the first to ask this so don't worry :D

Guys Thank you for all the information especially the link to the other conversations on it. I must admit last night after pulling into the field I was staying at after driving for an hour thinking I was going blind. I got a tad lazy and just asked you guys before I went trawling through the forum. It was lucky I did as without dellmassive pictures I didn’t realise there were different headlamps. I just assumed new van, new headlights.

I have now spent the best part of three hours reading about headlights and decided I will go with the h7’s but I think I’m going to have to find myself a tame fitter in the midlands area who has that computery thing to make them work.

Again thank you everyone you wouldn’t believe the scrapes this forum has gotten me out of so far.

For around £20 you could try a pair of Philips race vision 130 or 150 replacement lamps from Europarts to squeeze a little extra light from the H4 headlight also realistically the H7 headlight unit, particularly with only the dip or main beam running alternately is not an halfway point between the H4 headlight and factory LED unit in performance terms, just saying.

Philips Racing Vision 150% Extra Light H4 Twin Pack | Euro Car Parts

I've got a question about the genuine LED headlights in the forum shop
Genuine VW T6 Replacement Front LED Headlight Unit

The page says
"Please note this item does not include LED control/power boxes or fixings"

How much are these parts and where can they be obtained? I'm still looking at options to replace H4's from H7 units, THQ aftermarket units to LEDs :)

The units in the shop are bare headlights, each one will require two power modules each (one for drl one for headlights) and these are around £220 + vat per side

Am I the only one who drives a van with H4 headlights and permanent front fog lamps?
Hopefully!! There's already enough BMWs and Citroen Picassos annoying oncoming drivers that we don't need to join in too.

This appears to be the least painful T6 head light discussion so I’ll stick my questions here.
I’m a dissatisfied H4 user who just tried in vain to get a H7 upgrade free from VW Customer Service.....if you don’t ask you dont get I figured:)

I’d like short replys solely from people who've upgraded from H4 to H7 with standard bulbs, that way there might be a conclusion worth using, Y or N answers if possible. I’m not interested in LED’s at this point.
1. Is the visibility on a H7 any better than the H4 on low beam?
2. Do you regard the upgrade to H7 from H4 as good value assuming it’s unlikely the H4’s will sell for much?

Just to throw a curve ball. I had a hire van recently 68 plate T6 which had H4 headlights. Now when darkness came I was expecting to experience the inadequacy of H4's but they work the same as my H7's as in both bulbs came on when on main beam. I thought the problem with H4's was on the main beam only the 1 bulb lit and that was what causes the problem.
Anyway, I found they worked as well as my H7's so not sure if VW have done a modification on the later models.
Pic attached of both vans. My van has H7's.
BTW, I'm assuming they are H4's. They look different to mine and have the same DRL's as H4's
fullsizeoutput_204a.jpeg

Back