Gloss Black Grills

PATRICK KINNEY

T6 Pro
I'm meant to be getting my van on Friday, first thing I'd like to do is do my grills gloss black, vw said the paint might not stay on; what's peoples thoughts ?

Last edited by a moderator:
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Brilliant..

Gloss blacking bare plastics is not rocket science, unless it seems you're a main dealer.

It's perfectly fine to do this, but I'd probably avoid your dealership. Maybe take it to a proper bodyshop that actually knows the correct processes. Mine were done a year ago, and the paint is still very much where it's meant to be, and hasn't fallen off just yet. :confused:

Here's my gloss blacking project.
Last time with no paint..

Last edited:

Brilliant..

Gloss blacking bare plastics is not rocket science, unless it seems you're a main dealer.

It's perfectly fine to do this, but I'd probably avoid your dealership. Maybe take it to a proper bodyshop that actually knows the correct processes. Mine were done a year ago, and the paint is still very much where it's meant to be, and hasn't fallen off just yet. :confused:

your van looks well i hope to get mine on friday been waiting 4 months on it

Brilliant..

Just read your posts (twice!) and photo’s a subtle yet stunning upgrade, I now have my winter project. They say plagiarism is one of the best forms of flattery... again thanks for sharing, I’ll be planning a trip to a decent paint shop very soon!

Just read your posts (twice!) and photo’s a subtle yet stunning upgrade, I now have my winter project. They say plagiarism is one of the best forms of flattery... again thanks for sharing, I’ll be planning a trip to a decent paint shop very soon!

It surprises me that more people don't Gloss Black the bare plastics, it's a simple easy mod that's not daft money, with the benefit of it being so much easier to keep clean. You're not a million miles from me, so let me know if you cannot find a bodyshop you like. My guys have done all my work, and several members T6's, including a Blackberry that looked stunning after they'd finished.

It surprises me that more people don't Gloss Black the bare plastics, it's a simple easy mod that's not daft money, with the benefit of it being so much easier to keep clean. You're not a million miles from me, so let me know if you cannot find a bodyshop you like. My guys have done all my work, and several members T6's, including a Blackberry that looked stunning after they'd finished.

Thanks for the kind offer, could they strip, paint and replace at reasonable price? Phil

I've just had my grills and mirrors gloss blacked at SOS bodyworks near Bristol. I'm really happy with it, makes a big difference.

did you strip all the parts yourself or did they do the whole lot? if you dont mind what did it cost?

did you strip all the parts yourself or did they do the whole lot? if you dont mind what did it cost?

He did the lot, 2 grills, rear spoiler painted an fitted, sportline bumper sprayed and fitted, splitter fitter and both mirrors. Obviously its not just gloss black, its colour coded. £470.00 all in, I may have had a slightly cheaper price as my brother owns the car garage a couple of units along.

He did the lot, 2 grills, rear spoiler painted an fitted, sportline bumper sprayed and fitted, splitter fitter and both mirrors. Obviously its not just gloss black, its colour coded. £470.00 all in, I may have had a slightly cheaper price as my brother owns the car garage a couple of units along.

i was quoted 450 to do the top and bottom grills I've the sportline splitter on already

Does anybody make a gloss black replacement panel to fit between the fog lights or does it need to come off and be painted ?

IMG_20181110_132650_1.jpg

Does anybody make a gloss black replacement panel to fit between the fog lights or does it need to come off and be painted ?

View attachment 31405

I've had that section glossed along with the grills. It's all off. Done by a body shop. The section you refer to is well worth doing. It makes much more of a difference on the eye than you think it's going to. Really contributes to the overall look :thumbsup:

I just spent a few days again in the Bodyshop.
I was originally just replacing my bonnet with a new one we were painting, but then decided to remove all my Gloss Black work and totally colour code everything Pearl Black. It's not overly obvious, but it does look a lot nicer than the previous Gloss Black work i'd done.

20180926_092347.jpg

I have a gloss black grill and center grill on order. I agree that the fog light grills need to be done as well. Does anybody have any recommendations where to buy a pair, i can then get them painted so that the bumper only has to come off once.

Back