Glasgow overnight in campervan

interbear

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Any forum members got any tips or suggestions regarding camping overnight in Glasgow? I travel up fairly regularly for football, every month or so, and would rather stay in the campervan than pay hotel prices. Happy to pay for a campsite or pub car park rather than park on a street. Needs to be either close to public transport links for the city centre or walkable. Any suggestions appreciated.

Have a look at Park4Night, looks like plenty available but expect a lot of permanent van dwellers in a big city.

IMG_2950.png

You'll prob know but worth noting for others glasgow is now a low emission city....

From 01 June this year....

Personally I'd avoid glasgow
Not sure Glasgow really deserves its reputation tbh. Lived there for a few years back in the early noughties and had a blast - a great place and the people had great craic. Yes, there's a few a-holes around and a few very deprived areas, but not much different to any other major city.

You'll prob know but worth noting for others glasgow is now a low emission city....

Never knew this. Aberdeen,Dundee and Edinburgh as well. Rules me out then as I don't fancy paying £30 a day to run my early T6 around there.

Personally I'd avoid glasgow

Well I’d say that’s your loss, but everyone to their own. I lived in Glasgow for over 10 years and now travel up regularly, hence my original question. It’s a good city with plenty to do and, in the main, good people. Has it’s issues, but then so does every other major city in the UK.

As I now tend to drive up in the campervan, I’m simply seeking ideas on potential places to stay overnight, with facilities, rather than on the side of a street, which I wouldn’t do in any city including Glasgow.

Yes thanks, aware of this. I checked and my 2022 T6.1 (150 DSG diesel) is fine to drive in any LEZ in Scotland, including Glasgow.

@interbear and @Bav All points well made, I've also stayed in many cities around the UK but only Glasgow had bars on the windows of the lower floors of the hotel. (Don't think it was a prison)

@interbear and @Bav All points well made, I've also stayed in many cities around the UK but only Glasgow had bars on the windows of the lower floors of the hotel. (Don't think it was a prison)
Yup, I also know of a few pubs that have an architectural style akin to that of a WW2 bunker - as I say, there's some very deprived areas - but, much like hotels with bars on the windows, they're best avoided.

The only thing I would say is that my experience of Glasgow pre-dates the independence referendum and the accompanying anti-English rhetoric that the SNP thrive on.

The only thing I would say is that my experience of Glasgow pre-dates the independence referendum and the accompanying anti-English rhetoric that the SNP thrive on.

I don't think you'd have any problems with the people of Glasgow in this respect. Anti English rhetoric is an unfortunate political tool of the SNP party, but I don't think it's something that the people of Glasgow can be accused of, other than the usual banter that has always existed.

What I would say though is that in recent years Glasgow city centre has certainly suffered under the SNP council administration in Glasgow. I still enjoy visiting the city but the city centre is more run down than it was and streets that used to be thriving (Sauchiehall Street, Union Street, Argyle Street for example) are struggling and there are definitely more drug-addled types wandering and living on the streets than there used to be. Again though, I see this in most major cities unfortunately, Glasgow is far from unique in this respect.

I don't think you'd have any problems with the people of Glasgow in this respect. Anti English rhetoric is an unfortunate political tool of the SNP party, but I don't think it's something that the people of Glasgow can be accused of, other than the usual banter that has always existed.

What I would say though is that in recent years Glasgow city centre has certainly suffered under the SNP council administration in Glasgow. I still enjoy visiting the city but the city centre is more run down than it was and streets that used to be thriving (Sauchiehall Street, Union Street, Argyle Street for example) are struggling and there are definitely more drug-addled types wandering and living on the streets than there used to be. Again though, I see this in most major cities unfortunately, Glasgow is far from unique in this respect.
Pleased to hear anti-English sentiment hasn't percolated down, but it's not good about the general state of the city. I lived just off George Square and have fond memories of great times down Sauchiehall Street and in Merchant City.

Park in Rutherglen area if you are going to Celtic stadium. Quiet area you’ll sleep there no trouble. Bus and 2 train station to move around. Or drive to Kinning Park Tube and park there for free ( included in the Tube ticket) if you are going to Ibrox stadium. And of course jump off the Tube in Ibrox.

look on park for the night app …. I stayed in a quiet carpark behind a church in the middle of Glasgow last year nee bother

Try Florence Street. I recently drove home from Largs via Glasgow as I had a Gig I was going to. I found the sport centre has goo dan cheap showers you can use. This was prior to the introduction of the LEZ and I have not been into Glasgow since so I can't say if Florence St is inside or outside the Zone.

Park in Rutherglen area if you are going to Celtic stadium. Quiet area you’ll sleep there no trouble. Bus and 2 train station to move around. Or drive to Kinning Park Tube and park there for free ( included in the Tube ticket) if you are going to Ibrox stadium. And of course jump off the Tube in Ibrox.

Thanks. Ibrox is my regular destination for football. I did see that Shields Road subway station has a large "park and ride" car park right next to the M74, so that is useful for match day parking and jumping on the subway as well as a quicker get away on the motorway for the drive back to south Wales, but not so sure overnight.

Thanks. I looked at Park4Night, a very good resource. Much to explore!
If you read the reviews in P4N app’ you can see the actual experiences if those who can be arsed to write the review after their stay.
Two other app’s worth having are Searchforsites and Britstops

If you read the reviews in P4N app’ you can see the actual experiences if those who can be arsed to write the review after their stay.
Two other app’s worth having are Searchforsites and Britstops

Yes the reviews are very useful when present.

Back