Fitting upgraded front speakers with crossovers (not PnP)

Skyliner33

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I know loads of people have upgraded their door / A-pillar speaker.
If you have, and have fitted some speakers that are not plug and play a couple of questions please.

1. Where did you mount the crossovers?
2. Where did you take the input to the crossovers from?
3. Did you use any of the OEM wiring, as I would rather not cut into the OEM loom?
4. What size cable did you use for the tweeters, door speakers?

Thanks for any pointers.

My thread might give you some pointers: https://www.t6forum.com/threads/my-t6-audio-upgrade.21234/

The input to the crossovers will be the signal from your head unit or amplifier.

Depending on the size of the crossovers you 'may' be able to mount them behind the A pillar trim.

I rewired the loudspeakers and didn't use any of the OE loom.
Thanks I had a look at your thread, its useful. How did you connect to the head unit to get the signal to the crossovers?

I am running an amp to drive the front loudspeakers so the wires come directly from that.

However I am using the headunit itself to run the rear component loudspeakers so the input to the crossover is the out put from the headunit. It's just a straightforward wired connection to the headunit output for the rear channels (front in your case).

I am running an amp to drive the front loudspeakers so the wires come directly from that.

However I am using the headunit itself to run the rear component loudspeakers so the input to the crossover is the out put from the headunit. It's just a straightforward wired connection to the headunit output for the rear channels (front in your case).

And you must output from the headunit to the amp using front speaker out?

Thanks, but how did you physically connect to the quadlock?

Quick question about the tweeters in the a pillar. When swapping out is there a plug like there is with the door speakers or do you just snip the wires and connect those to the new tweeters?

Quick question about the tweeters in the a pillar. When swapping out is there a plug like there is with the door speakers or do you just snip the wires and connect those to the new tweeters?
T6? There is a plug. I ran new wires though...

Yeah, T6. I believe the door plugs look like the pic below so are the a pillar plugs the same?
I thought they might be different being a smaller speaker.
Just trying to get all the bits together before dismantling and prefer not to cut the existing wiring if at all possible.

s-l400.jpg

Looks like they are the same which you can see at 6.20 in the video below.
I also didn't realise the speaker plug in the door was plugged into the top of the OEM speaker which is handy to know as the new speaker connections are behind the speaker so some re-routing is required.

@Howzat How much of the OEM wiring are you planning to use? Are you putting in just speakers or an amp? The answers to these questions will affect if you need the OEM plugs or not.

Adding a vibe amp with the VW loom which I believe allows me to use the existing speaker wiring then swapping out the speakers.

Back