FabWorx

andy greenwood

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Fabworx M1 tested bed

- have any members got one of the "Fabworx" M1 tested beds and if so what do you think of them ?

I recently had an rs system fitted from Fabworx,
One of the biggest mistakes I have made, the fitting of the floor rail system was horrendous, they have no plan as of the underside of vehicle, they just drill holes and hope for the best, the spreader plates were fitted to the underside of the heatshield giving absolutely no structural integrity to the safety of the rail system, shocking workmanship for a company who are fitting beds that children will sit in...
The bed itself rattles like no other I have seen and the rail system also rattles about making it even worse.
Avoid at all costs you have been warned!!!!

Some of the photos I took of the horrendous fitting carried out by these so called experts, funny thing is they think there is nothing wrong with this, the reply you get is that's the way we always do it,
So tred carefully if you wish to use these incompetent idiots to ruin your van and put your kids life in danger if there was to be an accident!!!!

0CB330B2-D2E9-470C-BB11-09839B5D722E_1_201_a.jpeg

3F42479E-B029-47A8-BB18-B28990BA710B_1_201_a.jpeg

61046EDF-2278-4843-A5E9-6154370DFFD7_1_201_a.jpeg

C5BC1BA2-3A8F-45AA-8358-1F9E6AB61480_1_201_a.jpeg

E0AE0CA4-39A1-4211-8115-463C80E5A2EF_1_201_a.jpeg

Absolutely shocking, holes drilled randomly in floor with no bolts attached, the 2 plates at rear are just straight through the plastic cover and plates rattled up with impact gun and crushed cover, this was described as normal fitment, bed fitted that far back that the threshold cover doesn't fit, they say just cut the cover, (aye no problem mate its only a 40k van)
If I wasn't 400 miles away from them it would have been getting returned, I've just bit the bullet and moved it forward myself and fitted the spreader plates directly to the floor,

tempImage1EGZOO.png

tempImageSajErr.png

tempImageg0EVR5.png

tempImageGp8rUU.png

Some of the photos I took of the horrendous fitting carried out by these so called experts, funny thing is they think there is nothing wrong with this, the reply you get is that's the way we always do it,
So tred carefully if you wish to use these incompetent idiots to ruin your van and put your kids life in danger if there was to be an accident!!!!

View attachment 125451

View attachment 125452

View attachment 125453

View attachment 125454

View attachment 125455Th

That's shocking.

I really can’t believe that a “professional” company have so little pride in their work or the safety of their customers that they turn out work like this. It’s about time the UK introduced more regulation to stamp out cowboys like this. I can’t believe health and safety are not all over stuff like this. In a country where we have to have signs next to taps saying caution if hot water Etc.

In all fairness it looks like quite a professional outfit when you get there, unluckily for me I drove down during the night to get there first thing in the morning so I didn't really pay much attention when they were fitting it, shouldn't really have to do this though, just short of 3k without getting them to upholster the bed,
Makes me very sceptical about getting a pop top roof fitted now..

doesn't look like they treated the holes with anything to stop rust either

I too am not impressed with Fabworx. Quality of the installation was poor and only four bolts fitted which seemed odd since there’s six fixing points on the bed. I emailed asking if there should be six bolts and got no reply!! Still not sure if this is dangerous

I have a set of rails but no bed, when I contacted them to ask to buy a bed to fit they wanted to see a photo of the rails. I sent them a picture of the rails just lying in the back of my van, they said they wanted me to go to them as the rails didn’t look correctly fitted. If that’s the quality of their fits then I know mine will be fitted better than they can do. The rattling from the bed and the rails is a concern though considering the cost involved. They do have fitting guides on their website and they all only have 5-8 bolts depending on which bed.

Fitted my Fabworx Rail System bed today and I have to say I’m very impressed.
Firstly the build quality is excellent, I went for an upholstered bed in standard VW Simora. Everything is nicely finished off although I will be changing the fabric at some point to match my front seats.
Secondly, the ease of locking and unlocking then sliding the bed is so easy…moves with the push of one finger. Converting from seat to bed is also very easy and the seat also has different recline positions to make it more comfortable when just chilling.DAEFF9FF-15E2-4036-95D2-8C33C03A7232.jpeg8B79145B-E4F7-4818-86E5-F638C3286F06.jpeg142193FA-89C9-4D0E-9C1F-2DB048160B83.jpegBBF0C7A3-3B0A-4FE2-AE6C-56B3A2A57D19.jpeg
Lastly, the versatility it offers with use of space is perfect, whether slid forward to carry passengers like a combi and have a large rear space or slid back as far as it goes for front space. It also comes with brackets to allow isofix fitting.

Fitted my Fabworx Rail System bed today and I have to say I’m very impressed.
Firstly the build quality is excellent, I went for an upholstered bed in standard VW Simora. Everything is nicely finished off although I will be changing the fabric at some point to match my front seats.
Secondly, the ease of locking and unlocking then sliding the bed is so easy…moves with the push of one finger. Converting from seat to bed is also very easy and the seat also has different recline positions to make it more comfortable when just chilling.View attachment 197568View attachment 197569View attachment 197570View attachment 197571
Lastly, the versatility it offers with use of space is perfect, whether slid forward to carry passengers like a combi and have a large rear space or slid back as far as it goes for front space. It also comes with brackets to allow isofix fitting.
Hi Stiview, this looks really good. I’ve also had these installed but they protrude from the floor by 14mm or so. How did you raise the floor height so they sit flush? Did you run into any clearance issues with the side step and rear threshold? I’m thinking of adding another layer of ply but concerned about the additional weight as we have a full furniture set in the back as well. Many thanks, Tom.

Hi Stiview, this looks really good. I’ve also had these installed but they protrude from the floor by 14mm or so. How did you raise the floor height so they sit flush? Did you run into any clearance issues with the side step and rear threshold? I’m thinking of adding another layer of ply but concerned about the additional weight as we have a full furniture set in the back as well. Many thanks, Tom.
Hi Tom,
As I was doing the build it was a lot easier to do things in steps. If I remember rightly I think the depth of the rail part section is about 25mm. Once I’d fitted the rails I then added a layer of 6mm Dodo Super soundproofing over the whole floor area, it then has the usual 12mm plywood floor and then the 2mm LVT flooring. The rails do still protrude a little bit but only a few mm. The deeper side step fits well as I’m sure this allows for about 18mm extra depth anyway.
The kitchen fitting was a bit trickier as my doors are down to floor level so I had to raise them a bit to clear the rails when opening. Depending on your kitchen you may get away with just fitting an extra layer of 6mm ply on top of your existing ply on the area you can see. Whatever your final flooring is may be under the units so you would need to cut it where it meets the kitchen. I would recommend taking your fridge out and put the extra layer under there too so the door doesn’t foul.
Hopefully this will help you decide.
Steve

Absolutely shocking, holes drilled randomly in floor with no bolts attached, the 2 plates at rear are just straight through the plastic cover and plates rattled up with impact gun and crushed cover, this was described as normal fitment, bed fitted that far back that the threshold cover doesn't fit, they say just cut the cover, (aye no problem mate its only a 40k van)
If I wasn't 400 miles away from them it would have been getting returned, I've just bit the bullet and moved it forward myself and fitted the spreader plates directly to the floor,

View attachment 125487

View attachment 125488

View attachment 125489

View attachment 125490
I've got a Fabworx RS rails bed on order to be fitted by them in a few weeks. Bit concerned about what you've said about the fitting.

Has anyone had more recent experience with Fabworx doing their own installations?

I'm replacing my current rock-n-roll bed + unwin rails with a Fabworx RnR bed on their RS rails. Fabworx need to install their system onto the bare van floor.

I'm planning to...
1. take the old bed out, remove the rails
2. cut the floor around the kitchen units (leave them in place), and then remove the rest of the floor
3. stick down a sound deadening mat to the exposed floor area

Then fabworx can fit the rails & bed. When I get the van back I'll need to...
4. Fit a ply new floor - cutting slots for the rails, and cutout around the kitchen units.
5. Fit a floor covering - altro?

Does this sound like a reasonable plan?
Any ideas how I can neatly cut up to and around the kitchen? Should I cut close, or leave an edge around?

Existing bed and floor to be removed:
IMG_4890.jpeg
Kitchen units and fridge are raised up on a small plinth so should be OK with height there.

Hi Tom,
As I was doing the build it was a lot easier to do things in steps. If I remember rightly I think the depth of the rail part section is about 25mm. Once I’d fitted the rails I then added a layer of 6mm Dodo Super soundproofing over the whole floor area, it then has the usual 12mm plywood floor and then the 2mm LVT flooring. The rails do still protrude a little bit but only a few mm. The deeper side step fits well as I’m sure this allows for about 18mm extra depth anyway.
Steve

Hi @Steview, can I check you put the rails straight on to the metal floor, then put 6mm Dodo on top of the floor AND the rail base-plate?

Is the final floor finish a few mm higher in the middle of the rails because of the thickness of the baseplate, and is it noticeable? Any tips or what would you do differently? Thanks!

Hi mate,
The rail bed is bolted straight to the floor. I did put the usual battens and some sound deadening on the flat areas under the rail bed as it sits on top of the ridges. I then dodo’d the whole floor before putting the ply down. There’s only the area between the rail and side door that is slightly lower but you can build this up with a layer of extra sound deadening. I’ve added some pictures that might help.
Steve03C2E35A-5212-404D-B3A6-661096B16502.jpeg01E904E8-9D51-4790-A38A-24F37FAA476D.jpegF27D763B-0D80-485B-BF81-6B04166FB2B6.jpeg03C2E35A-5212-404D-B3A6-661096B16502.jpeg

8C67515E-66D1-42A4-AF8D-AACA56727305.jpeg

@Steview that's amazing thanks.
Did you glue the battens? What type of LVT did you use?
I better get the floor ripped up on mine and see what's down there...

Yes I bonded the battens with CT1.
I used sticky backed LVT and sprayed the ply with high temp adhesive first

73331320-3BC9-4110-99F9-2B4FF8F9A522.jpeg

D09FC9ED-F926-4AEE-9199-0539563A7136.jpeg

@Steview The drilled dog-legs on the corners of the rail frame - are they bolted into the van's lashing points? I noticed on yours it looks like there are no bolts on the front offside.

fabworx rail fittings.jpg

Back