Essential must have's

We couldn't live in the van without an inverter! Induction hob, wifey hair straighteners, coffee machine, toaster, laptop charging, anything really pluggable innable! Even used a hammer drill at busfest to plant a superstake for the flagpole in rock hard ground. As long as you have a decent leisure battery the 3 pin plug is your friend! Prices on Lithium batteries seem to be coming down nicely...
What inverter did you go for Wayne?

I love having the inverter in mine - great for making a coffee at anytime. But I have since bought an EcoFlow Delta 2 that does just as good a job, with 4 mains sockets, plus 12V and USB (A/B & C) and being portable is much more versatile. If I was starting again, I would base all my vans leisure electrics on something similar.

I used a cab-curtain extensively when stealth camping near work so as to not look like a camper, but never use it for leisure camping, preferring an insulated windscreen cover. I have Climair wind deflectors which allow the windows to open a cm or so for ventilation.
A drive away awning is barely worth it (IMHO) for 3 days (not worth it for less), so we use a Rail Sail awning sometimes instead.
If camping in winter (with EHU) we have a cheap generic oil filled radiator that stays on most of the time and saves on the Webasto using fuel. However, the Webasto proved its worth when stealth camping every week all year round.
We’ve never used the Porta Potti, though we regularly take it, just for peace of mind (& one storage unit stinks of the associated chemicals!).

We have downsized our awning and now have one that quick and easy to put up so although I would have agreed the others weren’t worth the effort for a short stay I’m happy to put the current one up for a night or 2. The extra space makes everything so much easier

We have downsized our awning and now have one that quick and easy to put up so although I would have agreed the others weren’t worth the effort for a short stay I’m happy to put the current one up for a night or 2. The extra space makes everything so much easier
What are you packing @cgtmiles ?

I pretty much never use campsites.
Blackout curtain between cab and rear. Use with cab window wind deflectors for ventilation.
Bucket, doesn’t take up space as usually has other stuff inside it. Laundry, washing up, shower water, etc.
Red light filter to avoid attracting attention at night.
Welcome to the Double Skillet Pan Company Get an extra lid and you’ll have two pans and a makeshift oven.

Remember it’s a small van and less is more. Personally I’d stick the portapotti up for sale before it’s used.
Red light filter interesting ? Do this go over your internal downlighting if so can you explain better picture or supplier would be welcome

Red light filter interesting ? Do this go over your internal downlighting if so can you explain better picture or supplier would be welcome
Red filter gel available on ebay in sheets, I just use it over the stalk light or a head torch. Use as many layers as you want.

I love having the inverter in mine - great for making a coffee at anytime. But I have since bought an EcoFlow Delta 2 that does just as good a job, with 4 mains sockets, plus 12V and USB (A/B & C) and being portable is much more versatile. If I was starting again, I would base all my vans leisure electrics on something similar.
This is what im doing as im currently building my second van. Not even bothering with EHU as i'll be off grid most of the time. Opting for a Clayton Power unit with solar on roof. Should be enough juice to power the fridge and bits and bobs for a good few days

Essentials for us;
Spare wheel security bolt
Ridgemonkey
Small electric fan heater for drying / warming the van on cold mornings.
25m EHU lead
Microfibre towels
Bottle opener

Back