Egr failure, particle filter, lamdba 2017 204

Thanks for the reply. Firstly I should say the garage is a vw concession. Indépendants are hard to come by in France. Most garages are concessions. I have no recommendations so am a bit stuck.
I agree, the garage are bad. Diagnosing soley by computer is awful.

I will ask them tomorrow about their diagnosis. They have ignored the oil consumption putting this down to a possible low level when it was serviced at another vw concession a few months ago. I will ask them to do a compression test.
I couldn't agree to any further work being done without them finding the cause.

Update. Months on. Things got legal as the garage were so poor. I also involved the previous owner. This week things should move on. Been without the van for months now.

VW concluded turbo failing ruined the two egrs. Then the turbo finally gave up the ghost. After much wrangling vw France will contribute 60 percent of the 5700 euros total cost of repairs, as long as they can do a 1000km test and oil weigh once the work is done.

I would have asked them to do his anyway.

As the previous owner has been forced to pay a good chunk of this, I'll end up paying about 1000.

Hopefully I'll have something to add regarding how it all goes soon!

Is a VW concession in France the same as a VW van centre in the uk? If so then presumably the work comes with a VW guarantee and if they don’t sort any oil starvation problem out and the new turbo goes pop then it’s back to them at their cost?

Is a VW concession in France the same as a VW van centre in the uk? If so then presumably the work comes with a VW guarantee and if they don’t sort any oil starvation problem out and the new turbo goes pop then it’s back to them at their cost?
2 year guarantee I believe. So yes gives me the cover!

Good result, but how does the previous owner get caught up in this? Are the rules different in France?

Good result, but how does the previous owner get caught up in this? Are the rules different in France?
As part of your insurance in France you have access to legal advice and then expert mechanics if there is a case against a garage or seller. If the vehicle is 4 years old or younger then the previous owner can be found at fault for selling it with an existing problem. The egr was replaced less than a year before we purchased it so there was clearly a problem before we had it.

Last edited:
Back