DSG Shopping Trolley

Jimmy T6

Hi Folks

My first post in this forum, as now I'm the very disappointed (and fleeced) owner of a new T6 204 DSG Highline Kombi.

I'm really not liking the delay in this DSG box, and makes for a pretty terrible driving experience compared to DSGs of the past. Having been driving a T5 180 Sportline DSG Kombi for over 4 years, and having owned several DSG cars, this latest DSG gearbox feels quite dreadful. As soon as I take my foot of the throttle, the clever computer decides to completely disengage the gearbox, the revs drop right down to under 1000 rpm, and the vehicle coasts a long. A weird feeling not having any engine braking. It feels like driving a shopping trolley coasting out of control. I can only assume that VW intends this to be a fuel saving "feature" and it probably explains how the new DSG economy is now very close to a manual on the T6. However, what I'm saving in fuel, i'm sure it is going to cost me in brake pads and discs. Then when I decide to accelerate it takes approx 2 seconds before the drivetrain is fully engaged, and the vehicle starts to accelerate. It feels really quite strange, and I don't think I will ever get used to this. Pulling away from standstill is also unacceptably delayed.

On my wife's golf DSG, I have the CHOICE of driving in Economy (coasting) mode, which I can't stand as it behaves the same way as described above. So I can choose to drive in Normal mode instead. I really hate the way how VW have now forced Economy mode upon their van drivers, without the ability to turn it off as we have in the cars. Yet another example of paying more for a van (than a car) but getting less (than a car).

Has anyone worked out a way of switching off the Economy mode, so it doesn't continually coast when I take my foot of the throttle. And yes I know about Sport Mode. All I want is Normal mode, like on the T5 sportline and in the cars.

Well it "Definately Sucks Gearbox."
I didn't think much to the t6 dsg so I opted for a 6 speed manual.
Plus the amount of failed dsg gearboxes that go through my brother in laws garage is shocking admittedly the golf/tt gearboxes not the transporter.

Switched it off myself, but there is not a hole lot of engine braking from that. However, it engages and accel. as I expect it to.

Seems to be some really laggy DSG's and some ok, ours is fine, pulls fine, the only issue is with reverse on a slope which as others have found takes some welly to get started.

Agree mine is not nice in reverse on a slope but I had put this down to also being 4motion. I have got used to the other annoyance of it slipping second gear if you are pulling away nicely, fine if you boot it.

Coasting feature does not bother me, guess this must be down to different driving styles.

@Jimmy T6 turn it off or use sport mode which also sharpens up the gearbox.

On my second dsg van love it, never had issue with lag or coasting in a total of 70k miles of travel.

He's talking about a box of electronics that sits between your throttle sensor (Accelerator Pedal) and the ECU, it tells the Diesel Tuning box to apply more boost at various points in the pedal's travel.

I turned the coasting feature off as I absolutely hated the way it felt like you weren't in control of the van! almost boarder line dangerous IMO!

As others I struggle when parking on a hill, especially reverse.

However, I'm very pleased with the gearbox in general...

As others I struggle when parking on a hill, especially reverse.
One thing that i noticed at the weekend that makes reversing seem laggy is that when you select reverse it appears to remap the throttle for a much wide range so you need more throttle to get anywhere.

One thing that i noticed at the weekend that makes reversing seem laggy is that when you select reverse it appears to remap the throttle for a much wide range so you need more throttle to get anywhere.
I have noticed this, not sure if its my imagination but also seems to take longer to engage in reverse than forward gears ?

I have noticed this, not sure if its my imagination but also seems to take longer to engage in reverse than forward gears ?

Very much so, seriously had work to get a trailer to go up a hill backwards.

My DSG is lovely going forward no problems at all; it is bloody awful in reverse, to the point that it can be quite jerky and a bit uncontrolled, particularly on a hill or rough ground.

Back