DSG advice

Grambo

I'm new to van life, and it's also my first DSG, so I'm looking for some advice, please (and apologies if this has been asked before - but if so, I couldn't find it!).

The van drives well, and I'm now pretty comfortable with the gearbox, however I have noticed that when I stop on an incline it appears a bit difficult to get moving. For example, at the weekend I had to stop when leaving a car park. I was on a very slight incline, and when I engaged "D", released the handbrake, moved from the brake pedal to the accelerator, the van just seemed not to want to move. I really had to depress the accelerator hard and the van just crawled forward. It made me think of a few occasions when I've been driving onto a ferry and have had to pause on the (steep) ramp up onto the car deck..... I felt that if that had happened in the van I would have been totally stuck. (It has also happened when stopped, then trying to reverse up slight incline. It just feels like there's no traction/torque).

Is this normal - or is there a technique I'm not getting? I had a quick scan of the manual, but didn't unearth anything there.

Thanks in advance.

Pretty sure they have hill assist? Where it will hold brakes on until you press accelerator pedal.

I'm describing what i've experienced and think this is..

Could be wrong, but intrigued!

I can't say I've noticed too much of an issue with any of my DSG vehicles going forwards. They don't tend to creep as readily as a conventional auto, so do need a bit more throttle.

I understand that torque is reduced in reverse, so more throttle is needed then. I need to go over a lip reversing onto my drive. If the is something behind and I just need to creep on, it can be difficult, but with a run up, it's fine. Reversing a trailer up there is a bugger. The trailer needs a shove to get it up the lip. Too much, and the brakes come on and it's back to square one.

What you describe is common for the DSG in some circumstances and why quite a few owners are having the TVS drivability remap of the DSG done. It transforms it to how it should behave.

sounds like the "Hill hold assist" feature to me.

the van will auto keep the brakes on on an incline for around 3 seconds before releasing them.

this is a great feature that stops the rolling back and playing handbrake tennis to control the van . .

anyway . . . back to it.

when on the hill and releasing the brakes, you need to overcome the brake force (hill hold) in torque - this just means you need more beans to move off.

come join the VIP club.

example . . .

Try it without using the handbrake which you mention, but just use the footbrake. It’s not intuitive at first, but the ‘Hill Start Assist’ works.

Thanks for the replies.

dubber36, that seems to describe it well - even the lip on the driveway can be difficult to get over if, for some reason, I've had to stop just at the lip. First time this happened I was giving it the beans, but it would just sit there (no traction/no torque - it was as if it was a manual in neutral), I had to go forwards, then with a short run it just breezed in.

I guess it's something I'll have to plan for!

I'm new to van life, and it's also my first DSG, so I'm looking for some advice, please (and apologies if this has been asked before - but if so, I couldn't find it!).

The van drives well, and I'm now pretty comfortable with the gearbox, however I have noticed that when I stop on an incline it appears a bit difficult to get moving. For example, at the weekend I had to stop when leaving a car park. I was on a very slight incline, and when I engaged "D", released the handbrake, moved from the brake pedal to the accelerator, the van just seemed not to want to move. I really had to depress the accelerator hard and the van just crawled forward. It made me think of a few occasions when I've been driving onto a ferry and have had to pause on the (steep) ramp up onto the car deck..... I felt that if that had happened in the van I would have been totally stuck. (It has also happened when stopped, then trying to reverse up slight incline. It just feels like there's no traction/torque).

Is this normal - or is there a technique I'm not getting? I had a quick scan of the manual, but didn't unearth anything there.

Thanks in advance.
Yeah Mate
I have experienced exactly the opposite with my T6, on a descendent of a significant sloped road, the accelerator depressing doesn’t respond immediately whilst moving forward, and a pause of approx. 2 seconds before the engine responds to the accelerator pedal. ( 2019 T6 103 KW 7 speed DSG. 12K on odometer) With an incline moving forward from stop, the reaction is delayed albeit 1-2 second delay.

Last edited:
Get a TVS DSG remap from @BognorMotors and it will sort all your DSG woes, I had similar issues when trying to reverse uphill and occasional reluctance to pull away, no such issues anymore plus gearchanges are much better matched to torque output giving me better fuel economy, average around 47+mpg. I also had Revo ECU remap which I would highly recommend

Back