DRL's are a bit yellow..

T6 dork

Engineer
VIP Member
T6 Guru
yes well they are normal lamps
i want to fit LED ones but it looks impossible to get at them
Headlights out ?

Fairly easy to get to, there's a round rubber seal on rear that pulls off revealing the back end of lamp then after wires are off its a twist and pull

yes well they are normal lamps
i want to fit LED ones but it looks impossible to get at them
Headlights out ?

Just be careful with the LED bulbs because it has affected my DAB really bad until the point of dropping out so much I have reverted back to FM unless I run with the headlights on them DAB is good again.

I am not sure if all replacement LED bulbs will cause the same issue though.

This is the best i can do
Capture.JPG
Release wire clasp and remove housing cover -1- from headlight
Capture1.JPG
Release grip piece with holder -1- in direction of -arrow- and
pull out from reflector
Capture2.JPG
Pull out daytime running light bulb -1- in straight line from
holder -2-.
Daytime running light bulb -L174- / -L175- : 12V, W21W

Risk of damage to the headlight.
♦ Do not touch the glass part of the bulb with bare fingers.
Fingers leave traces of grease on the glass bulb, which
evaporate when the bulb is switched on and cause the
glass bulb to cloud over.
♦ Wear e.g. clean fabric gloves when inserting bulbs.
♦ Make sure the housing cover is correctly seated when installing.
The ingress of water will cause permanent damage
to the headlight.

Thats the H7 headlight i pictured, just double checked, lamp sit inside below the opening/cover
H4 headlight sits higher on inside edge, will post the pics of all of them later

That's a better looking headlight than I've got , as they are H bulbs not LED would those be a straight swap?

So the verdict according to VW documentation, both headlights look the same from the rear
H7 as pictured in diagram 1 above remove cover 1 then lamp is down low inside as per diagram 2
H4 as pictured in diagram 1 above remove cover 3 then lamp is directly inside cover as per diagram below
I can confirm on H4 cover 3 for DRL as this is how i changed DRLs on mine

Capture.PNG

For those who have replaced the DRL bulbs on the H4 units which bulbs did you use?

I got mine from Lightec Autostyle and they are great when turned on. However when turned off they flicker very faintly. If you lock the van then they stop flickering after 1 minute, but when unlocked they never stop. So not ideal when camping!

Thanks!

I got these and I was really happy with them until I realised it must be these that are making my DAB drop out all the time.

image.png

Thanks! I'm hoping someone knows of one that works without any weird side effects. It would be nice to get rid of the yellow :)

Does anyone know how to disable the factory DRL's with out creating a Canbus issue because I don't actually need them and DAB/yellow light problem solved for me.

Thought said you had a blank in there @Rob if so just get a dummy load resistor to wire across the cables
Just need something to replicate the load that the original lamps would draw

Thought said you had a blank in there @Rob if so just get a dummy load resistor to wire across the cables
Just need something to replicate the load that the original lamps would draw

I have got blanks in the side lights but was hoping for something similar for the DRL's but to date no luck.

Back