Driver Window Issue

Denver41671

Hi everyone! So, yesterday the comfort feature on the drivers side stopped working, I had to hold my finger on the switch to get it down or up. Not a hardship but if something's not quite right, it annoys me 1f602.png Quick search on here and found it can lose it's setting and needs to be reset, which I did and it worked. Giving it a few test runs and it stopped half way and dropped open again, I think that was caused by the clips for my wind deflectors, it was dropping around the point of the first clip, so removed and relocated, few test runs and all ok. Then something weird happened, I opened the window, went to close it and nothing happened, the switch was dead. Passenger side fine. Left it a couple of minutes and tried again, and it worked fine. It did this a few times. Wasn't ideal as the window was stuck open at 9pm 1f926.png Anyway, it's closed now, but just curious (and worried about opening it again)... Is it a fault with the switch, the motor, or is there a safety feature that disabled the window for a period of time?

Is it a fault with the switch, the motor, or is there a safety feature that disabled the window for a period of time?
Sorry to say it's one of those.

You will have to do more diagnosis to try to work out all of the conditions that cause a failure. My first reaction would be remove the deflector completely and make sure that the guide channels are perfectly clear and clean. Then try it a few times.

Sorry to say it's one of those.

You will have to do more diagnosis to try to work out all of the conditions that cause a failure. My first reaction would be remove the deflector completely and make sure that the guide channels are perfectly clear and clean. Then try it a few times.
Thanks rod_vw. If the window is in the fully open position, would the deflectors stop it moving at all? It seemed like the window was completely dead, but I left it for a minute or so (on a few occasions) and it came back to life and closed. I'm worried to try again now in case it's stuck open and it's due to pee down haha

I've never delved into window motors but it may have a thermal cut-out which may give the symptoms that you describe. No doubt someone else with more knowledge than me will be along soon.

it may have a thermal cut-out which may give the symptoms that you describe
Thanks Rod, I'll keep an eye out for other replies. I was thinking along the same lines as you though, as it had been up and down quite a few times. Thinking it could be a safety feature to stop burn out (thinking along the lines of if a kid was messing about with it).

I had a similar problem once a long time ago after I first fitted my wind deflectors (also drivers side). I took it out, relocated the clips and the first time after that gave the window a slight push upwards as it was closing. It has stopped closing fully on maybe 2 or 3 times since then but I just 'relearnt' the window. In your position, I'd take the deflectors out until dry weather and then try a bit of experimentation.

I've never delved into window motors but it may have a thermal cut-out which may give the symptoms that you describe. No doubt someone else with more knowledge than me will be along soon.
Correct they do have thermal cut out and can take several minutes to reset. @Denver41671 did this only start to happen after fitting the wind deflectors or have the been fitted a while. Do you have VCDS?

Correct they do have thermal cut out and can take several minutes to reset. @Denver41671 did this only start to happen after fitting the wind deflectors or have the been fitted a while. Do you have VCDS?
They had been fitted a while (March last year), but I'd recently re-fit in the last few weeks as it had come unclipped, and since doing so it had dropped open a few times with the anti-trap feature, hence me relocating the clip. It had also caused it to lose its settings for the one-touch open/close. This is why I was running it up and down quite a bit last night to a) reset the program and b) to figure out where it was catching.

I don't have access to a VCDS unfortunately.

I'm starting to lean towards it stopping due to the thermal cut out, although still nervous to test in case it gets stuck open haha

Thermal cutout resets itself I'd say it's not happy with your wind deflectors and thermal is due to how many cycles it's gone through and jammed

Back