DC to DC charger recommendation please

VW camper

After the following thread above I've specific questions and information requested please..?
1. Can anyone recommend a DC to DC battery charger, possibly with a internal 240v system to charge from mains also...with the possibility of future solar panels going to be installed also...
2. Does the size of the AGM battery matter regarding to the size of the main battery. And can anyone suggest a size battery for minimal usage only for recharging computers and phones, and led lights.... it's going to be positioned in the passenger double seat box. Do info separate units or one unit combined ?
Sorry I should state I'm not a pleb regarding these things but I'd like advise from others as experience and knowledge out weights stupidity and buying a three in one unit for fortune.

Last edited:
After the following thread above I've specific questions and information requested please..?
1. Can anyone recommend a DC to DC battery charger, possibly with a internal 240v system to charge from mains also...with the possibility of future solar panels going to be installed also...
2. Does the size of the AGM battery matter regarding to the size of the main battery. And can anyone suggest a size battery for minimal usage only for recharging computers and phones, and led lights.... it's going to be positioned in the passenger double seat box.

1) If you’re going to want all three charging sources, I would compare a single Votronic triple against three separate components from a reputable brand like Victron. Three separate components will be bulky, but if they’re going under the double bench you have plenty of space.

2) Pretty light use by the sound of it, something like a 110Ah AGM should be fine, and fairly cost effective. I’m assuming you can charge your computer from 12v here, otherwise you’ll need an invertor too.

Thank for you replys,
Yes regarding the 12v for computer.. regarding this do I need a separate new cable or just a fused hook up by passing trafo on the current lead?
I've never seen one with out a trafo.
.. I'll be investigating that charging options tomorrow, thanks for advice

Just bear in mind that a 3 in 1 unit will be bigger and bulkier, and if it fails, then you could lose all charging options.
We have 3 separate units, each small enough to hide away in separate locations, and if one packs in, there are 2 other options.

Pete

Thank for you replys,
Yes regarding the 12v for computer.. regarding this do I need a separate new cable or just a fused hook up by passing trafo on the current lead?
I've never seen one with out a trafo.
.. I'll be investigating that charging options tomorrow, thanks for advice

By "trafo" do you mean transformer ?
Most laptops don't work on 12v - you can see what yours needs by looking at the writing on the power pack.
It's often easier to use the mains power pack plugged into a mains socket in the van powered by either your EHU supply, or a mains inverter.

Pete

Yeah, I’d probably bias towards three separate units too. Then you can get the exact right spec for each one and have some redundancy as @Pete C says.

On the laptop, it depends on the model. If it charges through usb c, then you can use a standard 12v adapter. If it’s a custom charger, that will need a bit more investigation, you’d need to work out what voltage/current it uses and see if you can find a 12v adapter and plug to match. Might be a faff, but it’s worth investigating, as it seems like a lot of bother to install an invertor just to charge a laptop.

Just bear in mind that a 3 in 1 unit will be bigger and bulkier, and if it fails, then you could lose all charging options.
We have 3 separate units, each small enough to hide away in separate locations, and if one packs in, there are 2 other options.

Pete
^^^^^^^^wot he said:thumbsup:

Re the inverter option...

I have a 300W inverter fitted under the left front seat with a socket low down on the left 'B' pillar. I fit a microswitch in the socket (CBE Type) which activates the inverter via a relay when a plug is inserted into the socket. I can then use any 240v item power consumption up to the inverter output when ever I want, mainly a lap-top for navigation when on the move (passengers air-bag turned off). This option has worked well in a number of campers that I have built in the past 17 years.

Back