Cylinder 3 glow plug code P13D600

VwSUP

Have this code on my vcds and engine lights on, has anyone changed this glow plug 3 (with sensor) themselves?

Curious to see what the Glow plug pressure sensor reports with the fault on.
Could you please do a data logging session?

IGNition ON
VCDS -> Select 01-Engine -> Adv. Meas. Values​
Tick the following:​
IDE00021 Engine RPM​
IDE00347 Air mass: actual value​
IDE07742 Cylinder head: pressure sensor 3 bank 1​
IDE07757 Exhaust recirc.valve 1 bank 1: posit.feedback - Actual value​
Log - Start​
Start the engine, let it run on tick over for 2 minutes.
Stop the logging, Done, etc. Exit VCDS​

Please post the logfile - LOG-01-....CSV from folder C:\Ross-Tech\VCDS\Logs

Not with my van at the moment but will do this Data log tomorrow, also i have downloaded the glow plug removal guide but this shows what to do when you are at the glow plugs not what needs to be done before getting to this stage. I can't get access to the glow plugs due to pipes etc being in the way not sure if there's any precautions i need to be wary of beforehand?

Can't help but had exactly this within 50 miles after picking up my new T-Cross. Straight back to the dealer for them to replace - good job too as I could never get my arthritic hands in around these engines nowadays.

It looks like that need to remove charge air cooler as it sits on top of everything.
Not sure if helps but attached a picture of CXFA (150PS) engine charge air cooler removed.

Remove/replace the PDF-extension with ..JPG (Forum software compresses JPG-files thus the extension manipulation)

View attachment 20171123_081952.jpg.REMOVE.PDF

Can't help but had exactly this within 50 miles after picking up my new T-Cross. Straight back to the dealer for them to replace - good job too as I could never get my arthritic hands in around these engines nowadays.
Even without you can't get to anything took me hours to get to one bolt on the egr flexy pipe the other week had the same headache getting the new pipe back on

I'm in the same boat. Hoping mine will be fixed under the extended warranty as I don't fancy tackling it myself. After removing the intercooler and the risks that entails you then need a special socket to remove the glow plug due to the sensor on top. :sick:

Fingers crossed I've just renewed my extended warranty today (run out last week). So i'm hoping for the same going to call them tomorrow i would rather do it myself after the last time i took it to my local Vw store they bodged even a simple fix and they seem to have a tendancy to blame items that aren't under warranty ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ let us know how you get on

Can somebody explain how you remove the air cooler to allow access to the glow plugs?

What pressure range should be on that cylinder, I'm getting from 37 to 42 bar. Most of the time 38 when idle.

What pressure range should be on that cylinder, I'm getting from 37 to 42 bar. Most of the time 38 when idle.
Depending what the engine is doing - between engine braking and full blast - from 21 up to 160 bars have been observed. Typically on idle 40 bar.

I checked on vcds. I have problems with egr and emissions errors. Recently im getting cylinder 3 sensor. My ecu is updated so its not softwareprobably. Check attachment for my log. Any idea what should i check in advanced measurements to check egr and adblue system? i could run a log and post it here. Check my current log, mayby you can tell me something already. That was iddle i can run it during driving also. Regards

Attachments

• LOG-01-IDE00021_&3.CSV
    23.3 KB · Views: 9
I have problems with egr and emissions errors. Recently im getting cylinder 3 sensor.
What kind of problems and errors? Any fault codes? Please post full VCDS Auto-Scan. It should give us some clues what to look for.
Check my current log, mayby you can tell me something already.
Well, nothing obvious - although a bit unusual that the air mass flow is non-zero (as well as the EGR) before starting the engine, or was the engine shut off just before starting the logging?

Hi! Yes its zero because engine was off just ignition. Today i performed another test. I drove 30km and logged trip. I erased all errors before test. i started logging on ignition on and cold engine. Finished log after i stopped engine. When you will check error log attached you will see another two errors for heating in car because i need to change blower box , and another unknown in central electric 50990, no idea what is it. Normally from time to time i see also cylinder 3 sensor but its not there this time. I think personally i have broken egr, what you think? Regards Greg

Attachments

• LOG-01-IDE00021_&6.CSV
    99.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Log-TRAN1-WV2ZZZ7HZGH087176-232450km-144437mi.txt
    11.6 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: mmi
Thanks!

Well, the P046C seems to be the mysterious one.

There is an "Output test" for the EGR - "IDE00242-EGR Valve" which runs the EGR valve into several positions. By monitoring/comparing the measured values for "commanded/specified" value (IDE07756) vs. actual value (IDE07757) should tell if the valve does/doesn't respond properly.

Below the test graphed - just 30 seconds here - the square is the desired position, the circle is the actual position.
1645738786236.png

Anyways, we could try to monitor the "all" EGR sensors - the temperatures before/after and position - by the logging the following while driving:

IDE00021 Engine RPM​
IDE00347 Air mass: actual value​
IDE04035 exh.gas recirc. temperature​
IDE04090 Exhaust temperature bank 1​
IDE07756 Exhaust recirc.valve 1 bank 1: posit.feedback - Spec.value​
IDE07757 Exhaust recirc.valve 1 bank 1: posit.feedback - Actual value​

unknown in central electric 50990, no idea what is it.
50990 - Sender/Receiver Module 2 for Interior Monitoring (G305) faulty - (rear motion sensor)

Thanks, i will run that test after weekend. Where is that rear motion sensor located?
On the roof by rear door (in the centre).
See the picture here:

Hi, I found that interior movement sensor thanks. Today i performed tests for Egr log is attached. It was started on cold engine ingnition on and same trip around 20 miles I have a question. Exhaust recirc.valve Act.value and OBD EGR position control-Positio should be same all the time. It looks like in my case isn't. Let me know what you think. Not posting faults because they are same like last time. Thanks

Attachments

• LOG-01-IDE00021_&5.CSV
    380.5 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: mmi
I have a question. Exhaust recirc.valve Act.value and OBD EGR position control-Positio should be same all the time. It looks like in my case isn't. Let me know what you think.
I think they are actually the same - well, as close as they can be (based on quite a few of logs of my own).

Just a thing to note - as the sampling rate of your VCDS is fairly low (once every approx. 0.7 seconds) here the "nearest" samples are actually on different lines but still 0.13...0.15 seconds apart. See the TIME STAMPs below:

1646166354662.png

Also the EGR cooler seems to cool down the recycled exhaust gases (red = exhaust from engine to EGR input, blue = EGR output)
1646172174075.png

Back