Customer Service Do They Really Want Our Custom?

TBC

Hello all.

First off I'm a new member, I've been on here several weeks and taking time to just totally absorb the font of expert knowledge to help me convert my new purchase to the camper of my dreams. So many thanks for everyone writing such informative threads and especially to those asking the questions because guess what? They are the very same questions I'm looking for answers to so keep it all coming and thanks to all.

However my first thread and its a moan !!

I have contacted a well known pop top supplier in Weston Super Mare , I liked the goods and was looking to make a purchase but just wanted some generic questions answered and if all was ok could I pop down? My email was a reply to theirs and sent 10 days ago 5 days later no answer so I send again from their website . Today no answer so I call the company I speak to Glen in sales who tells me Adrian who answers the emails hasn't been in . Glen couldn't talk as he was driving but promised to phone back.

Well I think you guessed . . . . . no call back !

Is this normal I'm investing what I consider to be a not inconsiderable sum ( quarter the cost of my new van ) but they aint investing in me!

Back to the drawing board!! hours of investigating what roof , comments from others, research and picture analysing all wasted..... :(

Sadly seems to be the norm for many companies and industries now.
That's how I weed out the people I don't want to deal with, and those I do. This will often be confirmed when you call and ask why you've had no reply to an email, and they tell you the person who answers emails is not in, or away on holiday.
Generic BS that only lets a company down, but nothing unusual.

Welcome to the madhouse by the way.

Last edited:
Yeah I guess your right and its a reality check for me, I've been soo hyped about what I'm going to do and how to do it by the excellent info on here I have fallen at the first hurdle of thinking it would be easy trying to pay someone for my first job !!

It actually makes me laugh !! Yep vote with your feet !

Don't get too disheartened.
From what I read on here, and limited knowledge of camper conversions, you might have a slight wait for a good quality company anyway, but I agree, it's not too much to expect at least a reply in reasonable time, if at all.

To be fair I don't mind waiting ( for the product !) and I certainly don't mind paying . I genuinely believe you get what you pay for and clearly I aint paying for customer service here !

Cheers thanks for the support .

Welcome to the madhouse @TBC. Unfortunately there are way too many dodgy companies out there. But look at the positive’s; you’ve found out early doors one of those that you don’t want to be handing over your hard earned dosh to.
My advice, for what it is worth; do your research across a few companies, as that is the only way you’ll figure out which ones are kosher and which ones you want to keep at barge pole length.
Don’t let the heart rule the head. If the company doesn’t put you first in trying to get you in in the first place - what the hell are they going to be like when they have your van?
I think you’ve hit the nail on the head in terms of you will be spending anywhere between a 1/4 to 1/2 the cost of the vehicle with these companies, so they have got to earn your trust and custom.

one of the problems people seem to encounter is that conversion companies only want to do full conversions and seem reluctant to do one offs as they have full order books for months in advance my full conversion took 9 months from purchase of van to conversion hand over

Cheers DaveyB, Cheers Peatey,
You are indeed correct and as I said at the start, expert knowledge and advice.
I shall go an enjoy a well earned beer and consider where to conduct my new research whilst I contemplate not what I have lost but what I may have been fortunate to have escaped from !!
:)

Back