Ciggy Lighter Socket

chriscroft

15 years of VW T 'ing
VIP Member
T6 Legend
So the socket stays live, when you remove the keys.
Does it stay live indefinitely (whilst there is any charge left in the battery)?; does it monitor remaining battery voltage and turn off whilst you can still start?; time out?

Anybody Know?:geek::geek::geek:

Stays on until the battery is empty, trust me lol
mmmmmmm, not the best idea, with all those clever voltage drop devises that could be built in. We always leave a 4 way usb transformer in ours, I know in theory there is probably little current draw if there are no devises drawing load, but I bet they draw some current, and often out van may not move at all Monday to Friday.
That steady state leakage may damage the battery over time????, but there again I suppose that there is plenty more low level draw on this complicated things when they are parked up;););)

Hmmm I've assumed the leisure battery in mine will run until flat and the relay protects the main battery?

In every othe VEE dub I have had it cuts off after so long. How odd it stays on?..

Hmmm I've assumed the leisure battery in mine will run until flat and the relay protects the main battery?
I'm not sure, but I think the only thing my leisure battery (factory fit) runs is my overnight heater. Im having the rear fag lighters wired to run off the leisure battery, I think I will get the front one wired in as well, while we are at it. It's a bloody pain to have a flat main battery.

Last edited:
Yes that will happen on mine with the overnight heater, any draw on the leisure battery should not effect the main battery; but what else is drawing off the leisure battery??

Last edited:
I'm not sure, but I think the only thing my leisure battery (factory fit) runs is my overnight heater. Im having the rear fag lighters wired to run off the leisure battery, I think I will get the front one wired in as well, while we are at it. It's a bloody pain to have a flat main battery.
In our T5.1 the front two are on the starter battery and all the rear ones are on the leisure battery. The Sargent system we have can be a pain because it disconnects all the rear 12V, except the fridge, as soon as the ignition is switched so the rear 12V don't work while we are on the move.

Beware that the standard ICE is powered from the starter battery and a few days enthusiastic use without charging will soon flatten. Even with mains hook up because this only charges the leisure battery. The best option is to get @Absolut5 to fit a switch around while you are there or buy one from @travelvolts.

Yes that will happen on mine with the overnight heater; but else is drawing off the leisure battery??
I would guess either not much or nothing in a Vel but in a Cali the kitchen stuff and rear outlets.

In our T5.1 the front two are on the starter battery and all the rear ones are on the leisure battery. The Sargent system we have can be a pain because it disconnects all 12V, except the fridge, as soon as the ignition is switched so the rear 12V don't work while we are on the move.

Beware that the standard ICE is powered from the starter battery and a few days enthusiastic use without charging will soon flatten. Even with mains hook up because this only charges the leisure battery. The best option is to get @Absolut5 to fit a switch around while you are there or buy one from @travelvolts.
Yes, I've spoken about that with him. We don't ever mains hook up, I think the switch around is good idea; so for general use the ICE turns off when you remove the keys; but when parked up you can use the leisure battery. One thing absolut says he can't get round even on Leisure battery is the 20minute time out, shut down on the VW ICE. So every 20mins you would need to flick the switch around, Power Down-Power back up

Back