Charging an electric van off hook up

dilbu

Hi all - I'm seriously considering an electric van due in part to the company tax rules (next to no BIK so doesn't matter how much personal use). At first I thought an electric camper was a terrible idea, but when I thought about it, if not small day trips then I generally use a campsite as a base and go off to explore. I'd always be in range and could charge the vehicle at the campsite. Here's what I need to confirm though; most campsites these days have dedicated fast chargers but they're obviously not on the pitch. But you can still charge a van as far as I'm aware (it'd be the new 6.1 electric if i can scrape funds together) via normal 230v but it's just a slower charge. Id I do that each night while sleeping then happy days. I want to make sure that does make sense, and also if anyone knows if campsites actually allow it? I mean I can't imagine them policing it much but is it good form, would it cost them a fortune etc (maybe some accept an extra fiver or whatever).

I've done it with a car a few years back but once on a busy site the power tripped out a couple of times and I think I was probably the guilty party. I think some sites their systems are already near capacity and if someone switches on a kettle while you're charging your car that might be enough to tip it over the edge. I can't wait until electric vans are a good proposition for campers but I just don't think the current VW is even close. That touted "up to 82 miles" of range is nothing and it'll be a lot less than that if you have to drive up a hill, run the heater while driving or travel at more than 40mph.

When they have bigger batteries and are configured for vehicle to load they'll be amazing, though. No more leisure batteries etc.

You would need to find out if the campsite has a designated charger and how many slots. You might need to book it.

what if there are 3 or 4 motors needing to charge with the same idea. all over night but might charge in 3 hours.

From what i saw the range on a electric Transporter is 80 miles per charge, built More for driving around town

yes you can plug into a 13amp supply so a pitch would do. but i'm not knowing what the draw is, to let you run anything else. maybe a cool box if the site is giving you 16 Amp at the pitch and your leisure battery charger. A lot of cars come with a standard socket charger but takes 6 - 8 hours for a full charge. you would have a designated charge point at Home to boost up to about 7 KW

Surely the Self charging Hybrid's are the way forward. with longer terms on your investment then your not dependent on anyone else should you need to head off some where unexpected. and new Battery replacement after 5 years maybe exchange units or leased but is another cost to consider.

google quote = For home charging your electricity bill will show this cost – on average it will be between 10-14 pence. To fill up, if you look at petrol being 128p

Not my own experience, but last week a friend took his small Eriba caravan to Cornwall behind his new Tesla Model X. The Club site he was on required he charge the car through the caravan protection. So first job on site was to find a new mcb to fit in the van with a partial rewire so he could then charge his car. It's a good job that he is an electrical engineer! It would appear that these site requirements may currently prevent a campervan being charged because there would likely be no completely separate leisure system.

Whilst this suggests vehicle charging appears to be acceptable on some campsites it does seem very early days and a rapid change will be needed as the sale of electric vehicles takes off.

I have a hybrid Bmw and campsites tell you that you cannot charge vehicles and point you to the correct charge point that is a cost. I did charge my car at the tent with a bucket and windbreaker around the charge point of the car. But more so if In acamper that could be difficult if your in it. So that’s my point of view

Not my own experience, but last week a friend took his small Eriba caravan to Cornwall behind his new Tesla Model X. The Club site he was on required he charge the car through the caravan protection. So first job on site was to find a new mcb to fit in the van with a partial rewire so he could then charge his car. It's a good job that he is an electrical engineer! It would appear that these site requirements may currently prevent a campervan being charged because there would likely be no completely separate leisure system.

Whilst this suggests vehicle charging appears to be acceptable on some campsites it does seem very early days and a rapid change will be needed as the sale of electric vehicles takes off.
Think having a totally Separate Leisure system would be wise if not essential... when the mains is through an inverter up to 100KV for fast charging in 3 hrs i need to have a swat up on it but its all very new there will be power sites every where with built in credit card reader and i dont know what will happen in streets and at blocks of flats . i bet its not 10 - 14 Pence per charge from a pay as you go machine .. or in a service station but its such early days and 20 hydrogen double decker busses were enlisted today

Have a look at Sussex Campervans. They have all electric campers built on the Nissan E200. Nissan won't let them use the vehicle batteries for power so it still has a lithium leisure battery.

BIK for personal use of a van is so low I can't see it being financially viable. There also may be other tax implications if you convert the Van into a camper.

This doesn’t sound viable to me, I don’t think there’s much chance of reliably charging an electric van from EHU.

Electric vans are the future, and I’d love to dump the combustion engine as soon as possible but it just doesn’t sound like we’re ready yet, both in terms of range and infrastructure.

Several sites I've stayed at recently have explicitly stated no vehicle charging from the EHU whether or not directly to the bollard or via the caravan electrics. I suspect over the coming years this will become the norm (no car charging on the pitch) for sites that cannot justify the investment of metered electric at the EHU bollard (which is starting to become much more common). Obviously one would hope that more sites start to implement dedicated charging points, but, given the level of investment required I doubt we will see a big increase in that any time soon.

Thanks everyone - the bottom line here is that I haven't even considered how it would work with the camper electrics, and it sounds like more hassle than I thought, especially considering as I planned to do my own conversion and would be my first one. Thanks for the food for thought!

Back