Cali plans for 2017?

former member

Account closed
T6 Pro
Now that Winter is finally drawing to a close, its time to get excited about camper fun.
Any plans?

9 days in France (Roscoff ferry) for Easter, 6 weeks in Europe (Santander) in Summer booked so far; we'll follow the weather as usual!

We're planning 1 week in Devon/Cornwall early June and 2 weeks in Scotland in the summer, likely early August.

Not sure yet apart from heading to our caravan in Wales. Hopefully around May /June time we will be heading north to do the North Coast 500 :)

looking to book a week down Devon Cornwall mid July and then a week in Scotland Hopefully near Loch Ness).
As I've never been to either, I'd appreciate any advice or recommendation anyone may have for great places to camp with a good range of facilities / entertainment for families.

We have a a few weekends away booked plus 2 weeks in the Italian Alps.
Would have more planned but already had a trip booked this easter in the Everglades before the Cali came.
Our plan was to have been weekending already by now, but what with our oldies either moving house, having strokes and in the last stages of prostrate/bone cancer/parkinsons we are pretty much grounded at the moment. Makes us even more keen to get out and enjoy life a bit more TBH.

looking to book a week down Devon Cornwall mid July and then a week in Scotland Hopefully near Loch Ness).
As I've never been to either, I'd appreciate any advice or recommendation anyone may have for great places to camp with a good range of facilities / entertainment for families.
Happy to help with Cornwall and might be able to lend a hand with Devon but its a broad subject. How many of you, what activities do you like, do you prefer beaches or quiet rural locations, do you want to be near a town/village/pub?

Been past Loch Ness in our old Cali but went to Mull (then a wedding on Iona) - absolutely stunning but pack for ALL weathers!!

Loz - our friends parents bought a Cali just after we got ours. They then replaced it (same colour as ours but a very late T5.1) and planned to spend time in Italy at their lovely house in the Northern mountains but... their rather wayward son (always in trouble, drugs, booze, etc) managed to get a drug addict pregnant. She had twins. He can't look after them. So plans of far flung tours, drives to Italy, etc, etc have been rather kyboshed by having to do the full time job of raising of a pair of toddlers. It's either that or they go into care.

Certainly can't predict what will happen in life - seize the moment when you can.

Reactions: Loz
Happy to help with Cornwall and might be able to lend a hand with Devon but its a broad subject. How many of you, what activities do you like, do you prefer beaches or quiet rural locations, do you want to be near a town/village/pub?

hey @Polzeylad , I'm not fussed really. I'd be quite happy with either a beach location or a rural spot (the quieter rural spot with the right facilities would probably get my attention first i guess). I don't mind having to drive to the beach on days if we wanted to.
It will be 4 Adults, 2 Kids, 1 small dog. Looking for something that has a small shop close by, a pub would be nice too. Needs to have good facilities (i.e.: Electric hook up, well maintained loo's / showers, wash-up areas etc). Ideally have some kind of kids play area. This will be our first year camping in the UK so i'm open to suggestions.
Will aneed a pitch that accommodates a SWB Kombi and a 3mx6m driveway awning.

@ZipcodeUK - I think my top recommendation would be Treen Farm Welcome to Treen farm | Treen Farm Campsite

It's close to a stunning (walkable but a bit sketchy near the bottom - ask for directions from the owners) beach, Logan Rock and the lovely beach of Porthcurno which has the Minack Theatre stuck in the cliff.
The site has a decent shop (with fresh croissants and essentials) and is about 1/2 mile from a really nice pub.
It's very laid back and facilities are fairly basic but it's worth it. There's quite a rural, farm feel to the place.
They also don't allow big motorhomes or caravans as the approach is narrow - IMO this is brilliant!
Downsides - it's quite hard to get to and a long way down the county.

Another favourite is Gwithian Farm next to Gwithian beach - the massive beach is walkable but I'd probably drive.
There's a good shop, a bath for little kids and a pub right outside the entrance to the site.
Gwithian is three miles long and has a great cafe in the middle (Sunset Cafe) and at the North end (an NT one - also a pub behind it).

For Devon, I really like the Salcombe area and there's two good sites there - happy to find links if needed but I think they're the only sites in the area!

Been doing a bit of planning for the Easter France trip; thinking the islands off the West coast and using Huttopia sites (was called Indigo) as we've always found them ideal - relaxed but decent facilities and a nice pool.
Of course if the weather dictates, we'll go further afield. Quite keen to see a few Chateaux and other historical sites - anyone know that bit of coast between Brittany and Bordeaux? Any recommendations? We'll dip inland as and when needed. Taking bikes for the first time so that'll be a chunk of extra kit to take!

Planning a trip just after Easter, when kids have gone back to school. Across to Islay and then up to Skye, maybe over to Rosemarkie. Planning stages at the moment.

Two weeks in July but no plans as yet.

26 days away so far but only weekends and within a 2 - 2.5 hour drive on a Friday evening.

..message ends..

Done Mull and Iona but would love to do Skye!
Roscoff for us on the 6th April for 9 days; a bit of West coast island hopping.

Any more plans anyone? Any big trips planned?

Still not sure on our route for the Summer but definitely doing more of France this year.

Friends of ours get their Beach this week; they are mega adventurous so looking forward to seeing what their mad plans they hatch.

She's David Attenborough's doctor when he's filming!

Back