Buying a reconditioned/used fuel pump? I've been quoted £2.6k + VAT brand new...

KenA

I recently had the timing belt on my T6 changed, and in doing so, the mechanic found that the fuel pump (part 04B130755K) was on it's way out. They've quoted me £2600 + VAT for the part, brand new from VW, but said that if I can source the part elsewhere for less, they would be happy to fit it. I've seen wildly varied prices, from £300 upwards, but aren't sure whether it's worth buying a used one off ebay or whether I should get one that's reconditioned or brand new.

Also, does the suffix 'K' on the part number matter, as I've seen a few with either a different letter or no letter on the end?

Any advice or recommendations would be most welcome!

Eh?

What driveability symptoms did you have.?

High pressure fuel pumps normally work or they don't.

So why did the garage say they think it's on the way out?

A failed high pressure fuel pump normally means metal filings contaminating the diesel, normally injector rebuilds, normally a full fuel system flush, and a whole world of pain.

So just checking that you're going down the right route?

As @Dellmassive said, I would get back to the mechanic who diagnosed it asap and find out exactly how sure they are and why they diagnosed it as faulty.
There aren’t many things more ambiguous in engineering maintenance than ‘on the way out’, ‘f*cuked’ or ‘gone’.
Autodoc do a Delphi pump for a £1060. There is a good chance that OEM is a Delphi, have a check.
My advice is to stop driving it until you have a definite diagnosis and a repair if needed, contaminated fuel systems are expensive to repair.

Eh?

What driveability symptoms did you have.?

High pressure fuel pumps normally work or they don't.

So why did the garage say they think it's on the way out?

A failed high pressure fuel pump normally means metal filings contaminating the diesel, normally injector rebuilds, normally a full fuel system flush, and a whole world of pain.

So just checking that you're going down the right route?
Thanks! He mentioned that it was making a noise, and that he checked for metal filings, but he couldn't see any.

Thanks! He mentioned that it was making a noise, and that he checked for metal filings, but he couldn't see any.
Broken spring?
It’s not just the visible particles that do the damage, the clearances are just microns.
Have a Search

You might get away with a replacement spring if the pump isn’t damaged.

Back