Bike rack instructions - v2

VioletVW

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi,

I've recently not only managed to get hold of a version 2 bike rack for my electric tailgate but it was already powdercoated black! Stroke of luck. Anyway, I've fitted it to the van but I'm wondering if anyone knows how tight to do up the allen bolts on the corners of the boot? I've nipped it up but not sure if its the right torque.

Does anyone have an instruction pdf handy?

Cheers

P.s I washed the van in preparation of adding the rack as shown. Probably not worth bothering as by the time I returned from swimming with the kids it was covered in salt again!!PXL_20230121_114718033.MP.jpgPXL_20230121_120036956.jpgPXL_20230121_143758109.jpg

Last edited:
If you have the correct tool, then it has a simple mechanism incorporated that indicates when you’ve torqued up sufficiently.

It was second hand and I wasn't given the tool unfortunately...I wonder if it can be purchased separately?

Just checked. There are two different tools. The one for the version 2 rack is just an Allen key with a fancy handle. The version one took looks more complex and is more expensive.

Just looked at my instructions. It just says ‘tighten with Allen key supplied’. No torque setting is mentioned. I did it fairly tight (metric fairly).

Just looked at my instructions. It just says ‘tighten with Allen key supplied’. No torque setting is mentioned. I did it fairly tight (metric fairly).
Thanks for checking! I'll give it the once over tomorrow and ensure they are both right and leave it at that.

Cheers for all the replies.

Did you get the stickers to protect the paint where the clamps go?
No unfortunately, they had been used on the previous van. I cut inner tube to size and used that on the metal clamps. Hopefully that will be sufficient.

Neat solution but you can get them from vanstyle etc. I had to replace them last year but to be honest I leave the rack on all the time anyway as I like the look so I’m not sure why.

Regarding torquing up the clamps I think I loaded up the rack tightened similarly as suggested above then pulled over after a mile and checked to see if any settle meant it needed retightening.

Neat solution but you can get them from vanstyle etc. I had to replace them last year but to be honest I leave the rack on all the time anyway as I like the look so I’m not sure why.

Regarding torquing up the clamps I think I loaded up the rack tightened similarly as suggested above then pulled over after a mile and checked to see if any settle meant it needed retightening.
Actually that makes sense. The rack is bound to move when loaded. I'll get the bikes on and check/tighten the bolts then.

I'll check Vanstyle too for those films.

That’s what my new rack came with. I kept a template and remade when required. These are the side protection.

View attachment 185731
Very sensible. I have various strips for protecting bike frames etc but just bought vw ones new. Keeping the back of the sticker is a really good idea (if I had any chance of finding them when I needed them!). The stickers for the clamps at the bottom are too big imo too. And if anything the top ones could be bigger as it’s difficult to align them correctly. So those templates could be adapted to suit

I have just bought a used rack for my t5.1, I am assuming the protective films are similar/the same. Is there someone else out there who could trace around theirs and upload for me please?

H
Hi,

I've recently not only managed to get hold of a version 2 bike rack for my electric tailgate but it was already powdercoated black! Stroke of luck. Anyway, I've fitted it to the van but I'm wondering if anyone knows how tight to do up the allen bolts on the corners of the boot? I've nipped it up but not sure if its the right torque.

Does anyone have an instruction pdf handy?

Cheers

P.s I washed the van in preparation of adding the rack as shown. Probably not worth bothering as by the time I returned from swimming with the kids it was covered in salt again!!View attachment 185673View attachment 185672View attachment 185671
Hey VioletVW,
Van looks great. Where did you source the roof rails? And the rock sliders?
Cheers,
Tim

Back