Best way to 'feed' decking?

tram

Engineer
T6 Pro
I have a patch of decking which has clearly been down for a fair few years. I gave it a scrub with some washing up liquid and bleach and it cleaned it. But I can't help thinking it is gagging for some kind of treatment to feed the wood and offer it some weather protection.

Normally to do this sort of thing, sheds, etc, I would use creosote substitute which is oil based. I don't like that water-based shed/fence stuff which is often green, as it is like a sort of paint rather than some real tackle that gets into the wood with some oil going on.

But.....I am thinking that something with some oil type stuff in the job will then get transfered by soles on shoes into the house floor and goodness knows where. So what can I do? I don't want to seal it.

I can't see there is any way round it. Oil is oil, and it is going to take a long time before it 'sets' and says firmly in the wood.

So what does anyone reckon? Has anyone had some experience of this. I am also happy to hear what I shouldn't do. Or does it 'set' fairly quickly, and doesn't tread about?

Back