B14 Wheel Alignment On A Acc Equipped Van

Insert Coin

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Morning all,

I noticed at the weekend that the front tyres on the bus are illegal, so in 2500 miles they've completely worn on the inside so that there's no visible tread.

My van converters farmed out the B14's, I'm not sure who they used, but clearly they either didn't track the van up correctly or didn't track it at all.

I've got an account with Protyre, they've got a 'drive on' 4 wheel alignment system so I took it to them first to get a print out of what's going on at the front. The wheels are toe out by a far bit, but the guys couldn't adjust the tracking as the bus has adaptive cruise that needs calibrating according to their system notes and they don't have that facility just yet.

So, I now have enough background knowledge to approach the converter and see how they handle the situation. They'll need to replace two tyres, pay for the allignment and replace my locking wheelnut that they graunched as well.

Has anybody else had B14 wheel alignment on a ACC van?

2018-06-23 11.24.13.jpg 2018-06-23 11.51.34.jpg DOC250618-25062018121720-1.jpg

Think someone may be getting mixed up there, the ACC that causes the problem was active chassis control, now called DCC due to the confusion with active cruise control. Mine has active cruise control and was 4 wheel aligned after B14 fitting without issue and has been fine

Think someone may be getting mixed up there, the ACC that causes the problem was active chassis control, now called DCC due to the confusion with active cruise control. Mine has active cruise control and was 4 wheel aligned after B14 fitting without issue and has been fine

That's interesting, Protyre and Breeze both said the adaptive cruise would need re-calibrating after the tracking was finished. I can understand the confusion on ACC and DCC, but neither company used the abbreviations so I don't think they were confused about what each acronym meant.

Who did your alignment out of interest? It looks like only Breeze, the main dealer, are able to fully align my bus currently. Protyre said they have the equipment, it's all newly installed, but that they are having training this week so that they can start doing alignment on vehicles with ACC from next week onwards.

F Cross in Doncaster. The ACC wasn't mentioned and hasn't been affected. I can see how lowering with B14s could affect the distance sensor but can't see how the alignment could mess it up. Maybe they're ultra correct and want to do a totally thorough job, but having the B14s and subsequent alignment hasn't made any noticeable difference to my ACC

I've just got off the phone to the van converter, he's given me the details of who actually did the work (Kartechnic), and they've offered to pay for a re-alignment and cover the cost of a new tyre.

There's some confusion over the ACC /Front Assist and whether you need main dealer level equipment or not. Main Dealer obviously says you do, Protyre have changed tact and now say you don't and to bring it back!?

KarTechnic, have openly admitted the van wasn't tracked because on a 4-Motion it doesn't need doing when you fit B14's, I'm not convinced by that I must admit.
But more to the point KarTechnic said my van converter doesn't pay them for alignment, so they don't do it but from now on they will make sure all vehicles are tracked, a copy will be put in the vehicle and the converter will have to pass that cost on.

So fingers crossed, new tyre, wheel alignment and locking wheel nuts will all come out of somebody elses pockets and not mine.

I had ours 4WA'd when the Seikel suspension was fitted, just went to a regular Bosh place, no issues with acc etc.

Hello. The alignment always needs doing after the fitment of B14's, 4-motion or not.

Regarding the ACC/Front assist, we haven't had a single issue, and have carried out extensive testing on ACC equipped vehicles, when fully lowered. We have never had the need to have it re-calibrated - The ACC works as it should do. There has to be a certain amount of tolerance, due to different road conditions etc, for the radar to work. I think you'll find its VW, arse covering!

All sorted today, suspension guys fell on their own sword and paid for the tyre and alignment.

Now looking much happier I hope -

T6 Tracking-1.jpg T6 Tracking-2.jpg

Back